Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wet/dry trickle or refugium?

right now i have a 125 pro clear wet/dry trickle... but I talked to someone who said that they are pretty much crap. if so could i make my wet/dry into a refugium easily? How would I do so?
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Edward/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Edward/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
I tried to attach a picture of it, i hope it comes up. if it doesnt i really could use some advice of how to do this. right now it only has 2 chambers where the water comes in over the bio balls then goes under one baffle where a sponge is placed then into the other chamber where the return pump is.
Thanks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	56495  

Old 10-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
what are you trying to filter, a reef or a fish only? if it's just a fish tank, i would keep the wet/dry and it will do fine. if you are planning a reef, i would want to build a sump that will house a skimmer and possibly a refugium.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
what are you trying to filter, a reef or a fish only? if it's just a fish tank, i would keep the wet/dry and it will do fine. if you are planning a reef, i would want to build a sump that will house a skimmer and possibly a refugium.
Im wanting to put some reef with fish... I'm just don't know what I should do.. Maybe cut the baffle in the middle out and add baffles in places that I need or just add them to what I have
Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

just add baffles where you need them, you never put a pic uo, you have to upload the image and post that link for us to see it, but most trickle filters can just add baffles and go from there, but with a fuge most would recommend goign as large as you can fit and can afford.

if its not to late try and return the wet/dry and just buy a standard tank and put some glass or acrylic dividers
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo
just add baffles where you need them, you never put a pic uo, you have to upload the image and post that link for us to see it, but most trickle filters can just add baffles and go from there, but with a fuge most would recommend goign as large as you can fit and can afford.

if its not to late try and return the wet/dry and just buy a standard tank and put some glass or acrylic dividers
I bought it from somebody for 75.. With overflow and return pump... Ill try another pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111016_192505.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	56685   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111016_192609.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	56686  

Attached Images

Old 10-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh for sure you can make that a refugium then it is a rather large wet/dry so you can just cut out the baffle and make your own. i'm guessign that is an acrylic sump to so getting some 1/4 plexi from home depot and a tube of weldon 16 will be fine for turnign that into a sump/fuge
Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
oh for sure you can make that a refugium then it is a rather large wet/dry so you can just cut out the baffle and make your own. i'm guessign that is an acrylic sump to so getting some 1/4 plexi from home depot and a tube of weldon 16 will be fine for turnign that into a sump/fuge
ok thanks... And one more question.. The wetdry is 24 long 10 wide and 13 high... Where should I add the baffles and what do I need to cut the middle one out with? Just asking bc I know some metals if it gets into the water it will harm fish,inverts and or coral and reef..
Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

you'd have to disconnect the wet/dry to cut it out the baffle, thats where it would get a little tricky and you may be able to use an exacto knife or a dremel

as for where to put the baffles, the first section should be the size of your skimmer, and the return pump section really only need to hold the return pump and heater
Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
you'd have to disconnect the wet/dry to cut it out the baffle, thats where it would get a little tricky and you may be able to use an exacto knife or a dremel

as for where to put the baffles, the first section should be the size of your skimmer, and the return pump section really only need to hold the return pump and heater
Ok sounds good thanks..
Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had the same wet/dry as you have, and I purchased a new sump (See Sump / Refugium question). But I bet it can be done easily as suggested above. After I converted from the wet/dry sump to a baffled sump (with refugium) - my nitrates went from 20ppm to <5ppm. Good luck!

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry, ick, refugium, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com