What all do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a 50G SW before, Community tank. Well this time around I want to just go aggressive. SOOO.... What all do i need to get a porcupine puffer, Trigger, maybe an eel or??? Tank size? Filter types? Lights? Skimmers?

Thanks in advance.

porcupine reqiure a big tank for it to grow, some ppl said at least 55, but some said at least 120gal. no HOB filter is need, just a skimmers.
I had one before in a super small tank 46gal, I bought it when its like 2inches and 1 year later, it became 5 inches. I just use the regular night that usually come with the tank.
its a messy eater, so every week or 2 must do water change.
2~4inches should feed everyday
4~6inches about every other day
6+ feed once a week will be fine.
I would say at least give it a 75 gal if possible, if 50 is the only tank u have, u can try, it won't stress that much if u play and feed it.
mine was swimming happily all day. (u will know if it stress, it tail will put a side and won't open, the body color will change to super light brown, mine change to dark brown when its trying to poop LOL)

No snails and other invert should be with it IME
my porcupine killed 3 cleaner shrimps, 2 yellow sleepers, 3hermits (I was a newbie at that time OoO)
hermits r hander to kill, so if u get some bigger ones, they should do fine.

OH, never use a net on porcupine, they will puff and you will be crazy to take it off the net.

Porcupine is fun to play with, well at least mine was.
I m the one who usually feed it, so other people walk by, it won't bother to look, but if I walk by, it would swim to the top and swim really fast to showed that it wants food, XD really funny face.

feel free to ask if u have any question about porcupine, I will try my best to share my experience.
I would suggest green spotted puffer too, they r in FW or brackish in LFS, but they can easily adopt SW. I have 3 in my SW tank now, and its best for them in SW when they grow bigger (younger transfer to SW the better.)

I used to have one when I was a noob (still am) The lfs said oh ya a 10 gal is fine and you can get it today. blah blah blah... Well when i found out what really had to be done I took it back to the store. I did use a net and like you said ya they blow up and I had to cut the wire and net to get him out.... SOOO This time i would like to be prepared because I know how awesome they are and to me they are like a dog with tons of personality.

Also, there is no triggerfish out there that is going to be able to survive in a tank anything less than 75 gallons. Not unless its the only fish in that 50G tank that you have, and even then i wouldn't suggest it. Triggers get BIG. I saw one in my LFS the other day, a full grown humu trigger that was 2 years old, and the guy said it was a foot and 2 inches. And i think they get even bigger than that. So remember what i said in your other thread. When buying fish, take into consideration their FULL GROWN state, and their future in your tank. Also, the minimum for a snowflake eel is 55G but im pretty sure you would be able to get away with keeping one in a 50G. Remember that most eels, including the snowflake eel have terrible eyesight. So you'll want to be very cautios with smaller fish in your tank. But i'd say if your doing a FOWLR and an aggressive tank, it will do quite nicely in that tank.

I haven't gotten a tank yet im trying to figure out what I want first i think it will be awhile before my budget allows for a SW tank I just know a FOWLR or a FO is far cheaper than the reef direction i was going before.

Yeah, you would be correct there, but only by so much. A FOWLR is the same thing as a reef, except without the corals lol. So basically, you'll be spending a good amount of money on things you need for the FOWLR, but you will be saving money as well, because you dont have to buy corals. Corals are pretty expensive :/ But you can always go the frag way and get cheap frags. But its all up to you.

Think I may have found a tank check out my thread in the hardware area...

Back
Top Bottom