What are all the things needed for reef setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning on starting a 90-120 gallon reef tank in awhile (prob long time) and I would like to know what would be the best items to buy with the tank, ei what lights, filters, sumps, powerheads, skimmer, etc.

I've also heard that you don't need to use protein skimmers but then I hear a lot that you need them, so...

And What type of lighting? PC , MH , etc. is best. And how many wpg and what degree range would be good (around 10,000 ?).

And for filtering how many gph would be good, what sumps are very good.

And are wavemakers good?

Basically everything you need to start a reef tank.

Also info about additives (iodine, calcium, etc.) would be appreciated.

Any info on anything I missed would help too.

And are wavemakers good?

Check out the Red Sea wavemaster. I love mine. Hooked 3 PHs to it. It creates a random water flow and has a nite cycle (slower currents), and a feeding button to shut all PHs off for 10 minutes I think so you can feed. Reef does well with random water flows IMO.

Also might indicate which types of coral you want. Hard? Soft? It'll make a difference on the light recommendations you'll get. Also, I think softies are much easier 'cause of the dosing requirements and more expensive lighting for hard coral.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of time do read up before you jump into it. Good luck.

Yes I will have PLENTY of time to read up and store vast amounts of knowledge :lol: (going to college Fall 2006). So that gives me a minimum of 4-5 years. Lol.

By then I'm sure there will be better technology but I'd like to learn as much as possible now.

I'll check up on te wavemakers, sounds very good and I plan on incorporating a wavemaker system in the tank.

And Yes I'd most likely go with SPS because they are easier to care for and I would also like to keep an some BTAs (more than 1) with clowns. So what type of lighting would be good for most SPS and BTAs? Please tell me if there are any problems with this.

SPS (small polyp stony) are not the easiest to care for. They demand near perfect water conditions to survive, in addition to very intense lighting.

Soft corals (ones without a stony skeleton) are the easiest in general to care for.

thats what I thought..

Lance you are probably right about things changing in 4-5 years, so the info we give you now maybe out dated by the time you set it up. I'm sure the basics will be the same like LR and the use of filtered water like ro/di. I have heard that they are looking at making LED lights for reef or FO tanks. And Im sure the skimmers will be better in 4-5 years and some of the companies we mention now may even be out of business.

Just keep doing your research and when your ready to set up the tank that would be the time to get detailed info on what you need.

The only thing that may not change, is the amount of $$$$ required to run and maintain a marine tank. :roll: :mrgreen:

8)

Back
Top Bottom