Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

what are moon lights?

I want moon lighting for ky 25 gallon sw tank I'm setting up and don't know what they are exactly or were I can find them for a good price. The tank is 24in long

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs
I want moon lighting for ky 25 gallon sw tank I'm setting up and don't know what they are exactly or were I can find them for a good price. The tank is 24in long

Attachment 60358

Moon light effect by Marineland DB LED light. You can find that and many other options online.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moon lights are typically blue and sometimes white low intensity LEDs used to simulate moonlight in the aquarium. Some believe that lunar lighting cycles may trigger spawning with some corals and fish. I think in practical terms for most it's just a nightlight for the aquarium to observe what all is going on when it's nighttime.

There are some add on kits for them. I have them built in on the main fixtures of my two reef tanks. Only my 37 is running at the moment and I use the moonlights to check on new fish or to observe things after I do work when the lights have been out to make sure no inhabitants are freaking out.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
Moon lights are typically blue and sometimes white low intensity LEDs used to simulate moonlight in the aquarium. Some believe that lunar lighting cycles may trigger spawning with some corals and fish. I think in practical terms for most it's just a nightlight for the aquarium to observe what all is going on when it's nighttime.

There are some add on kits for them. I have them built in on the main fixtures of my two reef tanks. Only my 37 is running at the moment and I use the moonlights to check on new fish or to observe things after I do work when the lights have been out to make sure no inhabitants are freaking out.
I just want them so I can view fish at night. I'm looking for some seperate because im using a 4bulb t5ho
Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're trying to add on a moonlight, you might consider these:

Results for DIY Retrofit Kits:Moonlight Kits

I've never used them before, but I've seen them mentioned in a lot of threads, and the price seems reasonable.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

is there a thread that shows you how to install those? Im not much of an electrition

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com