Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to amphibianboy528
What Are Sumps???

Sumps,
Are they a kind of filter?Some sort of fuge?I don't know anything about them.I always read alot of things about sumps and don't know what they do.So people with sumps out there,please help me out.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sump are bodies of water contained usually beneath the tank. They are hooked up to share the water with the tank. People use sumps to hide they're filtration so that it doesn't clutter up the inside of the tank. I'm sure more complex descriptions can be given. But that's the short and skinny.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I use my sump to add water volume to keep the system more stable, as well as hiding equipment.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

To elaborate...sumps are basically small tanks incoorperated into your main display. They have several advantages. They add more water volume to your system, thus making it more stable and less subject to parameter flucuations. They ensure a consistant water level in the main. They give you a place to add water and dose chemicals. They make a great place to stash equipment like heater and skimmer. Laslty, they can provide wonderful mechanical and biological filtration.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So you can you it to increase the water level,to hide equipment such as heaters and protein skimmers,mechanical and biological filtration and to add chemicals.But I want to know what things differ from a fuge.I am planning a 36 gallon and I wanted to get a fuge.But I also wanted to know what is a sump because it might be like a fuge but better.I aslo want to know how many lbs. of live rock do I need to put in a 36" long 36 gallon tank?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey you can incorporate the fuge into the sump.
You can also stash live rock rubble in your sump to increase filtration.
And everything mentioned above, of course.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is what I am doing, I am combining a sump and fuge and also adding LR rubble. In my fuge I am growing macro and mangroves and am going to have a 3" sand bed with some mud from garf and kent biosediment (which is sopposed to be good for nitrates, ect). If you want I can tell you if it makes any difference from my wet dry after it's set up for awhile. What kind of filtration are you using now?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing I've heard is that the fuge needs a slower water flow, this wouldn't work in my sump for sure. My fuge will be separate.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Really? Wish I'd know that beforehand. What should the water flow be? Mine will hold about 25g of water for a 150. I want it moreso for the fuge. What size pump is appropraite for this setup? I was planning on using the one I have for my wet dry.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well,
I decided to yous a 36 gallon and has not been set-up yet.I intend to you a Cascade for the tank.It is about 36" long 16"high 10 inches wide.I was goinh to het a fuge for it but i could not decide wether a sump or fuge.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com