What are the right inverts for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Ok, so i thought i would start this thread, because im really all about the inverts for my 55G. Im only going to have like 5 fish at the max. I want shrimp, crabs, and corals to fill the rest up. So i need some help on what i want, from some people who have had experience with these inverts.

First off, i really want an Emerald Crab. Will these crabs get along with tankmates and other inverts and such? Also, will they try and move rocks and stuff? Because i'd rather not have any falling rocks because of a couple frisky crabs.

Also, i really want a coral banded shrimp, but i already know i can have one in a community tank. Just want to know if they will get along with an Emerald Crab. I also want a pistol shrimp, so i was wondering if all three of these guys would get along without a hassle or struggle for life, so to speak.

Also, what about those little sand sifting crabs? I know they use them as feeders for things that eat inverts, but i think they are pretty cool and would imagine that they keep the sand pretty stirred up. Just wondering if they need any special of specific feeding, so they dont wind up dead and buried in my sand lol.

So just let me know what you guys think.
Thanks.

I`ve never had a problem with the mithrax crabs. I`ve heard that CBS can be very aggressive. As far as sand sifting I would get the nassirus snails. They do a good job of moving in the sand.

Alright that sounds good. I planned to get some nassarius snails, i just didnt want the turbo snails because i heard that they get pretty big and could knock down rocks and stuff. So i had to pass on that. What about the cleaner shrimp? Ever heard of them being aggresive? Also, could i keep more than one cleaner shrimp in my 55g?

I agree. The Emerald should be fine. Get a goby to go with your Pistol and skip the CBS. Fire shrimp, cleaner, pep, etc. would be fine. You can easily do 2-3 shrimp of the right type in a 55. Avoid arrow crabs and harlequins unless you know what you're getting into and have a plan for them. Snails.... nassarius and astrea seem to make the best combo with the least drama. Avoid turbos if you don't want things pushed over.

Yeah im definitely not getting Turbos. But alright. I really wanted to CBS but oh well. Ill just go with the cleaner shrimp. I like those better anyways.. the CBS was just cheaper lol. I dnt want Arrow crabs either. They freak me out. They look like spiders.

Now what about these hermit crabs? Will they ever knock things over at all either? Also, are they freindly things? Will they try and cause drama in the tank?

I've purposely avoided hermits. They are fine in a tank, but do need shells available and even if they have them may prefer the shell on a snail.

Heh, so in other words they are greedy little things lol. Yeah, i was never to fond of having hermit crabs. Ill stick to the shrimp and crabs. :D

Heh, so in other words they are greedy little things lol. Yeah, i was never to fond of having hermit crabs. Ill stick to the shrimp and crabs. :D

Don't forget snails. :)

Well yeah but those come standard with the tank xD But yeah, im definitely only going with nassarius and astrea snails. What about those bumblebee shirmp? They look pretty cool.

Just a quick bump for an old thread:

I have one cleaner and one YWG and one orange spot goby. If I purchased a pistol shrimp after the fact that the gobies are in place, would they still be able to form a symbiosis? And more importanly, is this pistol going to kill off my cleaner shrimp or any new shrimps I get (Perhaps another cleaner or pep)?

The pistol will not bother the cleaners unless they go down into his hole looking for troule. Highly unlikely.

And yes, the goby and shrimp can still form a bond, but it ain't a sure thing. it could happen right away or take weeks or months.

So the best bet would be the purchase of the shrimp and just let him do his thing, hoping he'll find one of the gobies? That would be a shame if he stumbled upon of them and killed one :O

The pistol shrimp won't kill your goby(s). But like austinsdad said already.. the pairing up thing isn't surefire.. so even if you gave him all the time in the world.. it still may never happen. But i would say go for it. Even if they don't pair up.. both gobies and pistol shrimp are awesome creatures.

Back
Top Bottom