Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2003, 01:21 AM   #1

What are the steps needed after getting everything?

So since I am moving off campus this semester at college I can get something then a 5gal fish tank and go 20-30gal. I already have a 5gal fresh water with a jack dempsy in it but woudl like to branch into saltwater.

So say after I buy the:
Lights
Heater
Powerheads
Tank
Skimmer (debatable)

What is the process I need to go through from there and how long each step takes? ie: get salt fill your tank with water measure blah blah blah. Please do this from a newbies standpoint for I am new to this. And please add in other stuff I need along the way and keep it cheap as possible.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
Please do this from a newbies standpoint for I am new to this.
I would not recomend any tank under 50 gallons for you, being a newbie. I would also recomend buying the equipment first, unless you can afford it all at once.

Quote:
So say after I buy the:
Lights
Heater
Powerheads
Tank
Skimmer (debatable)
Adding to the list:
Marine test kit
Hydrometer, or refractometer
10 gallon tank, and Powerheads for qaurantine purposes

There isn't too much of anything thats cheap in this hobby, so be prepared to spend some bucks. You can also find equipment and such on ebay. you could try them. Goood Luck. And Welcome to the addiction.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 10:08 AM   #3

I want to start with coral and 2 clowns and some cleaner shrimp. No bigger then 30gal tho. I found this site through one of my clients he is rthoman on here. I've always been fascinated by saltwater tanks. Everythign is so exotic. The best tank i've seen is at the Vinetion sp? in las vegas its at the end of the shops near the food court wher ethe statures come out and talk and stuff.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
30 Glallons can be done, and is common, but be sure you keep up on your maintinence scheduals. The only fast things that happen are tank crashes on small aquariums. good Luck.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 12:00 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
For a true saltwater newbie I would not only recommend studying as much online as you can but also I would suggest you reference our Saltwater library. I know I know your on summer leave from college and you dont want to have to read another book till fall. But really a good book or two and a good website like this will save you hours of greef and also some of your cash.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

I personaly have The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S Paletta and Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. I feel these are two great books for someone just starting out in the hobby. If I was to chose between the two I would say the book by Fenner would be my top choice.

If you cant go larger than 30 gal then remember a few good points. As Tim pointed out your maintinence schedule will be important. Regular water changes and daily toping off with freshwater will be important to maintan the water quality. With saltwater tanks when the water evaporates the salt stays in the tank so the net result is a higher salinity after a couple days of evaporation. On smaller tanks this change happens faster than on larger systems.

ALso its good to know that the amount of fish you can put in a tank is alot less with saltwater. A general rule of thumb that I like to use for beginners is 1" of adult fish per 5 gal of tank capacity. So that would give you 6" of adult size fish to stock in your tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com