Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Never had any peppermints but have heard they are hit or miss on eating it.

I have only see aiptasia in my tank once and I nuked it with boiling lemon juice from a medicine dropper. Worked like a champ. But with as many as the op has that wouldn't work unless it was done over several days/weeks. Otherwise it would Lower the pH with all that lemon juice they would need.
Is it really that bad to keep them? Or do they cause problems? Or will they die since my tank is in its 2 week cycle? All I see on YouTube is people eliminating them off their tanks with peppermint shrimp or butterfly fish. They look somewhat nice in my aquarium I hate to kill them if I don't really have a reason to??

Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

They sting fish, coral, and inverts, and can kill them. They multiply like crazy and a large infestation is almost impossible to get rid of without killing other tank inhabitants. They will literally take over a tank.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
They sting fish, coral, and inverts, and can kill them. They multiply like crazy and a large infestation is almost impossible to get rid of without killing other tank inhabitants. They will literally take over a tank.
I see will they die off if my tank is cycling? Would you recommend something that may eliminate them? I'm thinking of the butterfly fish but I don't know if he alone will get rid them?? And by the time my tank is finished cycling they would be much bigger :/
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

What size tank is this?

They likely will survive the cycle.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
What size tank is this?

They likely will survive the cycle.
It's a 37 gallon tank. Darn it so what do you think about the butterfly fish idea?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There are no appropriate butterfly fish for a 37 gallon tank that I know of.

Use lemon juice or aiptasia x, and kill them off little by little over several days.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
There are no appropriate butterfly fish for a 37 gallon tank that I know of.

Use lemon juice or aiptasia x, and kill them off little by little over several days.
I'll be upgrading tanks though not now but will in the future im nervous using lemon juice or any other type of chemical to kill them. guess ill try either the peppermint shrimp
Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Are the aiptasia only on one piece of lr? If so I would just remove the rock. i have read when you try to kill them in the tank they can have polyp bailout. they sense their demise and release polyps into the water that will spawn new aiptasia. Just from research though don't know for a fact. Some of the chemical treatments may prevent bailout also. I hear people have luck with aiptasia x.

Only experience I have is one case where I tried a peppermint shrimp and after a week the aiptasia was still there so i took the rock out of the tank and chipped off the piece of rock the aiptasia was on. Since then no more. Peppermints are definitely hit or miss apparently.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

With no other fish or inverts in the tank I wouldn't worry about using aiptasia x or lemon juice. It will have little effect so long as you don't try to nuke all of em at 1 time.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
Are the aiptasia only on one piece of lr? If so I would just remove the rock. i have read when you try to kill them in the tank they can have polyp bailout. they sense their demise and release polyps into the water that will spawn new aiptasia. Just from research though don't know for a fact. Some of the chemical treatments may prevent bailout also. I hear people have luck with aiptasia x.

Only experience I have is one case where I tried a peppermint shrimp and after a week the aiptasia was still there so i took the rock out of the tank and chipped off the piece of rock the aiptasia was on. Since then no more. Peppermints are definitely hit or miss apparently.
There's only 1 rock that their growing in. What if I took out the rock for a few days will they die and not come back after putting them back in tank?

Tags
coral, corals, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com