What are UV Sterilizers for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They swirl tank water around a super intense light. The light kills bacteria, algae and parasites and spits the dead ones out the other side. Some people swear by them and others think they kill things beneficial to your tank. If you have ich, it will suck in the ich and kill it so for dealing with issues like that they seem effective. Most think that a good combo of skimmer, live rock and some sort of mechanical filtration is all ya need...

But it can only get the Ich if it is free-floating. I've seen people think that if they get a UV, their fish can, or will not, get Ich. It doesn't work that way

The fact that is most largely ignored about UV's is that they dont PREVENT anything. Ich, free floating algae and bacteria still exist in tanks that run a UV. In 9 years and just as many tanks ive never had a situation that needed a UV. Parasites, free floating algae and bacteria can be dealt with in more effective ways then spending the money on a UV that wont cure anything.

UV's only deal with the organisms that pass through them, and the flow rates are far too slow. What this means is that never will the tank be 100% sterilized, not even close.

Thank you everyone! This has been really helpful. After reading, I think I can invest my money into more important things. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom