What book would you recommend to a total idiot beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFingers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok simply put what book would you recommend to a total beginner in salt water aquariums?

I would like a recomendation for a book that will give me the basics of salt water do's and don'ts. I want to research as much as I can before I take the jump.

Thanks in advance.

Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner is a popular one. Good beginner advice there, and stuff you need to consider beofre you buy your FIRST piece of equipment. But.... since the book is so old, ignore the part about cycling with fish.

Check the library at the top of this page.

BTW, the "idiot" reference doesn't work for me. First, you came this site for help. Secondly, you're willing to read a book before you "leap", and lastly you're setting up a SW tank.

Sounds pretty smart to me. 8)

Conscientious Marine Aquarist is what everyone pretty much recommends but as stated some info is outdated. You will get your best info from this site. No better source than the people who are currently doing it. Just do not rely on the first response you get. Everyone is not perfect and sometimes you may get some bad info. The good thing is everyone on here is quick to correct errors. :D You should read these articles. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

The New Aquarium by Paletta was the first book i bought and it helped, however next to that and the book by Fenner, what is the next one that i should look into getting? I'm looking for something that gives specs on many diff. kinds of fish and corals...

google.com, aquariumadvice.com, wetwebmedia.com, liveaquaria.com

Those give you enough knowledge to do just about anything in this hobby...

IF..

You take the time to read and be patient and read and be patient and read and then....whew....READ - SEARCH - RETAIN...

By gods these people put alot of effort in... It does rub off and no amount of book reading (even big Bob's) is a substitute for reading real life accounts and situations..

The book(s) (which I have a couple of) are great references for GENERAL situations and practices (for the most part general). That said, nothing beats looking for things in your own terms.. they often yield conflicting/supplimental info.

I hate to say this, cause it may seem as advise (it's not, per se), but take all things into account and come to the appropriate conclusion to your situation - and really trying to find the angles before forming the conclusion.

It becomes advise (my post) once you become educated (and have read time and time again the differing viewpoints).

And I say all that as a very cautious newb - that's gotten exactly the expected results every step of the way all according to distilled plan.
(and All from the web...books were bought as an afterthought...just to check these board monkies' facts ;) )

whew...
not a rant I promise..

(these boards rock..use em...that's the short version)

C Y: Coral books; Aquarium Corals, Eric Borneman, The Book of Coral Propagation, Anthony Calfo.

for a total newb: The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta
after that, the one by robert fenner already mentioned (or get both as a set, for a discount, from amazon.com)

Back
Top Bottom