What brand and type of testing kits do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheyCallMeButch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Still a bit of a newbie here with salt water aquariums.

I've been using API tests and match the color but I see lots of other people being very exact with their measurements of everything and I'm curious as to what other people are using that I'm not.

I still follow a lot of what I was given and told to do when I first got my tank and I've already corrected and changed certain things and learned a ton since then but I feel like my testing could be better and more precise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't recommend the API test kits for saltwater. They're hard to read and not exact. I would go with either the Red Sea test kits or the Salifert test kits (heard good things but never used Salifert) Titration test kits seem to be a bit more accurate as the levels are determined based on how much of "X" solution you add before it makes a very noticeable change of colour. I find this helpful because you don't have to compare colour shades. You just check the syringe to see how much you've used and check the chart and you know your parameters.

For testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate while cycling, API is all you need. When it comes to accurate tests for a reef tank, then red sea, salifert, and hanna checkers are the way to go.

Sounds good. I picked up the Reef Foundation Pro Red Sea today and my Marine Care one has been ordered. Thanks for the help as always!

Alyxandria is wrong, the API kits are fairly accurate, and fairly easy to read. Though the red Sea test kits are more exact, they are a lot pricier, and more difficult to do. Since you're new to this, I would recommend sticking with the API. After you're more experienced and more into it, then I'd go for the red Sea. Since the tank is new, you'd be testing a lot (which means losing more cash, time, and tests if you use the red sea). For the first couple of months, just use the API until everything has settled down. Then you can start the precision testing.

API do ok, but for the most accurate you'll want a red sea or hanna checker. I prefer the hanna checkers myself...very easy to do and digital read out rather than a color comparison.

If you can afford them Hanna testers are the best thing on the market. However salifert is a great brand as well. IMO I'm not a huge fan of Red Sea kits

Lol if you can't tell, butch, everyone has a different opinion when it comes to this. So you should probably try some from each brand, and see what you prefer.

Lol, I'm not "wrong". I wouldn't go phrasing it like that as we are all offering opinions here. I find that the API are just not as accurate as other kits. It's a preference for me to use something more precise. I use API for my freshwater but when it comes to saltwater I like exact parameters. It's just a preference.

Everyone has their opinion and that's exactly what I was wondering. All of this has been greatly beneficial. I picked myself up some Red Sea test kits and will go from there. I'd like to eventually get one of the electronic monitor ones but i feel that is a bit spendy for a 20 gallon tank and still being new to it all. But when I get into bigger tanks in definitely going to look into getting those.

Back
Top Bottom