Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What can all you salties tell me about saltwater?

So, I'm completely new to fish (just this year and only a few months) and only freshwater, but I've been thinking of getting a small (maybe like 10g?) tank. I thought it would be freshwater and didn't even think about saltwater!

SOO

What can all you salties tell me about saltwater? Where would I start? Tell me everything possible because I don't know the questions! lol

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Start with a dummies/complete idiots or beginners handbook on the subject, then start asking.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Start with a dummies/complete idiots or beginners handbook on the subject, then start asking.
+1..good advice...

hye there....
im here also a newbie in this SW hobby...to be honest, im doing my reading and research for 3-4 months (still need to learn..LoL)before buying those stuffs...luckily, i found this sites from Mr Google...what can i say, reading and research can save your pocket money....
Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's why I'm asking now...
I'm not planning on getting anything like tomorrow. I'm just interested. But if you don't want to give any advice thanks anyways.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #5

You are literally asking for many books worth of information, we are recommending those books.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for the names
Old 10-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would start out with the articles section on this forum. There are a few good articles that will get you started on equipment and cycling and all that.

A lot of the pricipals of keeping a tank will transfer over from freshwater. It is a little more complicated keeping an eye on your levels but nothing you can't handle if you are interested in salt.

I would warn you that most saltwater tanks are larger in general that freshwater because the more water volume you have the easier it is to keep your tank parameters stable. If you are looking to stay small for your first tank to try your hand at SW i would suggest the 30 gallon range. There are a few biocube tanks that are in that size. The larger the better though. If you can afford/have space for a 75 i think this is a perfect place to start.

The upfront cost of SW is quite expensive depending on what you want to do with the tank and how willing to DIY you are. There are a few things like buying base rock instead of live rock, and making your own sump instead of buying one that will cut down your start up cost by a ton.

I believe liveaquaria.com has an articles section as well with some basic information that is good for beginners as well. I would not take all their information as fact since they are still trying to sell you things but most of it is pretty good. Read up a bit on those and that will generate a lot more questions. Once you have some more specific questions start up a thread of them and we can help you from there.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It is VERY time consuming & VERY expensive! Everyone told me the same thing, but I had to learn the hard way. I'm back to freshwater. I love the look of a saltwater tank, but I don't have the time or money to care for one.

If you must have one, I would start with a nano cube tank that comes with everything you need to start one.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Agreed Pat. The dummie and idiot books are old outdated information. Go to the article section on the site and do some reading.

Also I would suggest going larger than a 10g tank. Small tanks are much harder to keep stable in SW than larger ones. I would suggest starting out with a 29g tank minimum and larger if you can.

Ask all the questions you want on here that is what the forum is here for.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I would start out with the articles section on this forum. There are a few good articles that will get you started on equipment and cycling and all that.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com