What can I do to ensure a smooth adjustment period for the fish i do have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jumbaaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so here we go
For MONTHS i have been researching having a salt water tank. I had a spare tank and someone i knew was getting rid of about 50 lbs of live rock. I was slowly saving up some cash here and there and I was going to do it right.... Then someone i know who works at a school was told... you need to get rid of your salt water tank by the end of the week (she is a science teacher) and turn it into a fresh water tank. To be honest no one at the school has a real clue besides her how to run a salt water tank and everytime she would try to fix it they would yell at her (I E setting up the sump) when asked what to do with the fish they told her we don't care (i.e. just get rid of them)
So last monday night when she told me I went out got salt power heads lights sand and set up the tank to start cycling (Yes i know not nearly enough time)
I had another friend who used to do aquarium work for a living give me 5 lbs of live rock and another 3 or four cups of grunge from the bottom of the tank to try to seed everything.
Had it running about 5 days ammonia was reading 0 after spiking briefly and my friend who had the fish told me that they told her to do it today.(friday) so she moved them to my tank... They did not look healthy at all. it was 1 3 stripped damsel one 4 strip 1 cardnal fish, one yellow tailed damsel and one bi color dotty back. I had thought that the dotty was DOA but when I took a net to remove him from the container so i can acclimate the other fish to the tank he moved so i figured give him a shot.... I drip acclimated them and then moved them in.
the yellow tail was acting wierd and the Dotty went under some rocks and laid on her side were she remained for 3 days
24 hours later levels were still good. the Dotty was still doing her best death impression, and the yellow tail really was dead. and the damsels and cardnal were starting to dart around the tank.
96 hours later (i e today) the Dotty is no longer laying on her side and the other fish are seeming to be more relaxed?
I have better power heads that were delivered today to my office and a protein skimmer in the back to help.
I want to get a sump going shortly but it is going to have to wait until May or June (Budget issues)
What can I do to ensure a smooth adjustment period for the fish i do have... and did i do anything wrong?

So here is a question. The tank is 29 gallons
Are 2 800 GPH powerheads to powerful?

I ran 2 750's in my 29g reef tank. It should be fine, just don't have them blowing directly on any corals and try to get the flow so that the sand doesn't collect gunk or anything. :)

carey said:
I ran 2 750's in my 29g reef tank. It should be fine, just don't have them blowing directly on any corals and try to get the flow so that the sand doesn't collect gunk or anything. :)

Holy flow

carey said:

I have 2 also, and i cant find a spot for the 2nd one in which it wouldnt bug the heck out of all my coral!!

I have my koralias in my 125g hooked up to my controller which is also a wavemaker. I can't say I'm super impressed, the only thing I don't like is the clicking of the powerheads when they go on and off. I was able to make a wave in the tank with it but it just made my overflow gurgle. LOL

carey said:
I have my koralias in my 125g hooked up to my controller which is also a wavemaker. I can't say I'm super impressed, the only thing I don't like is the clicking of the powerheads when they go on and off. I was able to make a wave in the tank with it but it just made my overflow gurgle. LOL

Your koralias click when they go on and off? I have mine hooked up to a red sea wave maker and they are silent.

Got ya I have the newer one I just got then a few weeks ago and boy am I impressed I will never buy another kind of power head

My koralias are like a religion to me LOL. I tried the aqueons but they stink, not even sure why i tried another brand, the koralias have everything I need. Magnets are the cherry on top!

Right?! The magnets are one of my favorite features! I have had a cheap top fin one for when I first started my tank. It just had suction cups what a piece of junk! Always fell off. It has sence been retired to mixing saltwater. And will never come back lol. Koralias are the best thing I ever bought for that tank besides my show quality acan coral lol. Hey I was thinnking about picking up a reef keeper. Do you have one? Are they worth the money?

I have the reefkeeper elite. :) I gotta say i really really like it. i went with the elite cause you can hook up like 63 modules to it with the lite reefkeeper you can only go to 4 modules. I have everything on the controller, even got the float valve for my ATO and now use the controller for that. You also can make use of their wavemaker function. On the lite, you can set up 2 powerheads and with the elite you can have 4 hooked up. i can actually make a wave in my tank, I don't anymore cause the overflow would gurgle with the wave movement. LOL

I'm also toying with the idea of using it for more than one tank, but I'm not there yet. hehe.... it can monitor your ph, temp and salinity too so you can just look at the screen and see what the parameters are. Plus you can have it shut stuff down in case of emergency. Like my heater, if it gets to over 81 degrees the heater shuts off, just in case it's malfunctioning. You can do the same with the lights, shut them down if the temp gets too hot inside. You can pretty much control anything with it that you can come up with. LOL

I think I'm going to pick one up then. Its way better than having 4 timers for my light and a wave maker. It takes up so much room my wife is getting mad about the power strips and timers laying on the floor next to the tank LOL reef keeper eliete it is! Are they pretty expensive?

Actually, yeah they are. the elite without NET was $349, I got it for christmas from my b/f. :-D

The net module would allow you to monitor your tank from any internet connected computer and even shut things on and off. Very nifty, but it runs another $100 for that option so I passed.

each powerstrip comes with 4 outlets and the basic elite kit comes with 2 of them, so you can control 8 devices straight away. I had to buy a third strip since I have sooo many devices and gear. They run I believe about $80 each. You can monitor ph and temp right out of the box but salinity is another module for like $70 and a probe. The temp and ph probe are included by the way. Check out bulk reef supply or aquacave, they have the owner manuals and everything so you can really see what they can do. bulk reef supply even has a you tube video of them setting it up and programming it. It made it soo easy for me just watching that video plus it gave me ideas. The video should be on their website, if you can't find it i can look for it. :)

They do have a competing controller, the apex as well. I price compared though and it came out like $150 more for the same options so I went with the cheaper one.

there's so many options with the RKL, you need to look one up and see. lol I plan on adding a moonlighting module at some point too, it plugs right in and comes with little led pods that you can stick or mount anywhere and you can adjust them to ramp up and down. Like $70 for it too, much cheaper and easier than me finding moonlighting for a six foot tank. lol

That's crazy all the stuff they do! I would just get the elite right away with out the net option. I don't ever really go anywhere that I would need that. And I will also have to get another power strip for it because my light will take up a whole one by itself lol it has 4 power cords what a joke lol sounds like a nice product. Atleast I won't have to break out the chemical tests as often then. I'm excited to get it as soon as my taxes come back this week. Btw is there a group buy coming up soon for brs?

Yep, I will be posting a new March group buy thread very soon. I'm aiming for 2 weeks so I'll start getting info this week. The only thing is the RKL are not discounted at BRS during the group buys, that and ecotech stuff like the vortechs and the radion.

You can get it for the exact same price everywhere though, even the digital aquatics website will let you order. free shipping too, no tax. Plus you can read up on it on the website too, it really is silly kinda at what this thing can do. Anything that can go on and off is controllable down to the second. lol

Back
Top Bottom