What can I use wipe the tank walls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmonicarl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've gotten some spots on the inside walls of the tank and i'd like to know what is safe to use to clean them? Thanks for the help.

I use a sponge cleaning brush I picked up dollar general. It never hurt my fresh water tank. You could also pick one up at petco somewhere. This works if you don`t mind getting your hands wet

I prefer to use a handled scraper, I don't like the magnet sitting in the tank all the time, not a fan of the way it looks. Plus you either need 1 for each side, or to stick your hand in to change sides. I just use the scraper before doing a water change, if needed. Make sure you get the appropriate type if you have glass or acrylic
http://www.petco.com/product/114623...iums.aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_Maintenance

I prefer to use a handled scraper, I don't like the magnet sitting in the tank all the time, not a fan of the way it looks. Plus you either need 1 for each side, or to stick your hand in to change sides. I just use the scraper before doing a water change, if needed. Make sure you get the appropriate type if you have glass or acrylic
http://www.petco.com/product/114623/Fusion-14-Long-Aquarium-Scrubber-for-Glass-Aquariums.aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_Maintenance

I'm confused by some of your statements. I agree about the look of the scraper in the tank when not being used. That is why I take mine out. Pull the outside one away and the inside floats to the top. Also, why would I need 1 per side??? I have one and use it on all 3 sides and change sides without removing it.
Having both a magnetic scraper and a handled scraper, I find the magnetic scraper MORE effective and EASIER to use.

Just a personal preference, if I'm going to stick my hand in the tank to put it in or take it out, or switch sides then I'd just rather have a handled scraper.

Regardless of the scraper you use, be careful when getting close to the substrate. If you pickup sand or gravel, it may scratch your tank.

I prefer hand scraper as well. Kent marine is nice. Use with stainless steel blades. I avoid the magnet as it will catch sand and scratch your tank. Plus it gives room for algae to grow on. Which is annoying and ugly in your display tank. Keep phosphates low and have a good circulation to keep algae from growing on your glass

I love the magnetic scraper as i can change the scrubbing material from course to fine depending on what I am trying to remove.
When not in use, I take it out, and give it a rinse in tap water.
I never have to stick my hand in the tank unless I am taking the scrubber out for cleaning.
Removing the outside magnet makes the inside cleaner float to the top.
This one is a no brainer.

I have the 1ft stick from kent marine. I also do dot put my hand in unless i really need too. Lower profile to get to those hard to reach places. Imo the magnetic is to bulky . I like all 3 sides of my tank clean so i can observe sick coral or fish. My aquascape is from glass to glass with maybe 2 inches of clearence on both sides. Thats why i went with the handled. If you have the room go with the magnet. I use my handle to stir up the front of the sand bed as well

Back
Top Bottom