Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to gump3842k Send a message via Yahoo to gump3842k
What chemical's well I need for an reef?

What chemicals and minerals will I need for my reef? Iodine,Strontium,Calcium,Trace Elements and Reef Builder anything else???? Thanks

Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i wouldnt suggest adding much of anything you dont test for. You will definetly need to dose calcium and alkalinity buffer or some sort. Regular water changes should take care of everything else.

hth

rosstifer

Old 04-27-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont want to sound like I know what i'm talking about, cause I dont...yet.

But my LFS hosted a customer appreciation day last Sat. and a rep from SeaChem was there and I asked the very same question. He told me to use SeaChems (of course) Reef Pack Fundamentals, with Reef Complete, Reef Carbonate, and Reef Plus.

I added it for the first time that day and in the evening I had a Hippo Tang fatality. Coincidental I think

HTH

Thanks,
Rich
Old 04-28-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Depending on what you have in the tank there are a few things that you may want to add. I Dont really do many water changes so about every 2 weeks or so ill dose a little bit of iodine and strontium/molybdenun and I also dose iron in my macroalgae tank. If you have any shrimip you may want to sparingly dose iodine; when i do it in my tank my shrimp ussually molts that night.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
i don't know what trace elements and reef builder has in it, but the four main components are calcium, iodine, strontium, and magnesium

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

15% water changes weekly or 20% to 25% bi-weekly, with a good salt. B-ionic is best, IMO, for keeping ca and alk stable.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:59 PM   #7

Water changes with a good salt and B-Ionic is all I use and it works great. HTH
Old 04-28-2004, 11:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honestly the best thing you can do for your tank is water changes. If you are looking for a miracle additive, well there just isn't one. I am gonna throw this out and I do it now and love it. I used to do 15% water changes weekly. But after hearing Mr. Bob Fenner speak down in MD He talked about doing a 5% every 3 days or so ... like wednsday and Sunday. It is working great.. Just make sure that you mix up the water prior to the day you want to put it in so it can airate etc.... The basis for this was that it helps keep things more constant in you tank and it is never closer than a 72hrs away from a water change thus a little bump in CA or trace elements etc....

Doan

Tags
chemi, chemical, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com