What chemical's well I need for an reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
What chemicals and minerals will I need for my reef? Iodine,Strontium,Calcium,Trace Elements and Reef Builder anything else???? Thanks

i wouldnt suggest adding much of anything you dont test for. You will definetly need to dose calcium and alkalinity buffer or some sort. Regular water changes should take care of everything else.

hth

rosstifer

I dont want to sound like I know what i'm talking about, cause I dont...yet.

But my LFS hosted a customer appreciation day last Sat. and a rep from SeaChem was there and I asked the very same question. He told me to use SeaChems (of course) Reef Pack Fundamentals, with Reef Complete, Reef Carbonate, and Reef Plus.

I added it for the first time that day and in the evening I had a Hippo Tang fatality. Coincidental I think :(

HTH

Thanks,
Rich

Depending on what you have in the tank there are a few things that you may want to add. I Dont really do many water changes so about every 2 weeks or so ill dose a little bit of iodine and strontium/molybdenun and I also dose iron in my macroalgae tank. If you have any shrimip you may want to sparingly dose iodine; when i do it in my tank my shrimp ussually molts that night.

i don't know what trace elements and reef builder has in it, but the four main components are calcium, iodine, strontium, and magnesium

15% water changes weekly or 20% to 25% bi-weekly, with a good salt. B-ionic is best, IMO, for keeping ca and alk stable.

Water changes with a good salt and B-Ionic is all I use and it works great. HTH

Honestly the best thing you can do for your tank is water changes. If you are looking for a miracle additive, well there just isn't one. I am gonna throw this out and I do it now and love it. I used to do 15% water changes weekly. But after hearing Mr. Bob Fenner speak down in MD He talked about doing a 5% every 3 days or so ... like wednsday and Sunday. It is working great.. Just make sure that you mix up the water prior to the day you want to put it in so it can airate etc.... The basis for this was that it helps keep things more constant in you tank and it is never closer than a 72hrs away from a water change thus a little bump in CA or trace elements etc....

Doan

Back
Top Bottom