Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

today i went to the store to get another emerald crab, but the store was sad, there was an aptasia infestation it seemed in almost all of the tanks w/ live rock. Aptasia all over the place all different sizes.

i looked at the damsel fish, some where dead, some had missing fins, some had dark spots, and alot of fish where in shock, i looked at a mandarin fish upside down alot with other fish still moving mouth but not moving, i asked what was wrong and the lady said they got in alot of fish and they do that sometimes but will recover, and i was thinking this place is horrible.

i saw a peppermint shrimp w/ an isopod in it, it had a big tumor on its side where the isopod was and i told the store lady and she said, " well there's nothing we can do w/out killing it " well ****, so someone else who doesnt know whats wrong with it is supposed to put that thing in their tank?

blue tangs where 75$ !!!! thats crazy, i know another store that sells them for 30 bucks.

Aquarium World off 290 is a horrible place, they dont take care of the fish and their prices are high on a few things, the blenny's where even expensive, 16$ ! i got mine for 9. i tested their water from the emerald, and it seems they want to cut back on putting salt in the water, SG was 1.016 !!!. its cruel how they treat their fish.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will find that at most all large pet store chains its too hard to manage multiple locations with love and not a business sense. the mom and pop fish stores are usually the best because its there livelyhood on the line.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I stopped by my LFS yesterday to have them double check my water parameters (I was afraid I was messing up the calcium titration test) and they were confident in sending me home with a few of my first inverts. Under $20 for all these locally, I love my LFS.

2 Emeralds Crabs
2 Turbos
3 Scarlet Reef Hermits

I'm not confident enough in my tank stability to do the shrimp yet, but I'm very happy to have a few things scurrying around the tank. Drip acclimated for 3 hours, put them in the tank, and they all went right to work. I was shocked how they instantly starting roaming around and eating like mad....especially the emeralds. They pile it in clawfull after clawful. I woke up early this morning to have time to TRY and find everyone in there to see if they were still active, but under my moonlight LEDs all 7 were front-and-center on my large show piece of LR (which is the most developed piece) chowing down. Do they eat 24-7? Their instant activity once in the tank was a big relief.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboyb View Post
2 Emeralds Crabs
2 Turbos
3 Scarlet Reef Hermits

I'm not confident enough in my tank stability to do the shrimp yet,.
its always good to be cautious smart move. Resisting a purchase can be hard sometimes its like you have the angel of wisdom on one shoulder and the devil of demise on the other. My Turbos are like algae mowers they munch algae like no other. Just remember start slow if there is not enough waste to feed the cleaning crew they will just die off. as your tank matures so should the cleanup crew

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

In cycling my tank with cured LR, I ended up with a significant amount green algae and some organic/coraline die-off. The LFS (who also got me my LR) tried to send me home with WAAYYYY more inverts than I took. I don't doubt that there's plenty to support them, but I'm a bit overly cautious with my setup. Too much $$$ and time invested to mess it up I'll probably keep some seaweed/pellets on-hand as I start increasing the number of inverts just to be safe. Personally, I think the inverts are just as interesting as the fish and corals (although I'm looking forward to when I can start adding those too)
Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Figiwigi is right about you taking your time. It's always good to see when people take thier time and resist the "rush". Too many people just dump everything or anything into thier tanks without thinking.

BTW Figi... as you will see in my prof. BLS fan myself.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
BTW Figi... as you will see in my prof. BLS fan myself.
Awesome I got SDMF iron cross tattooed on my back they rock!! I am off to a kid rock concert today leaving now should be fun

FijiWigi_Tank_photos

Tags
clean, cleaning, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com