Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

what color bulb?

i am going to buy a new bulb for my 30G reef.. i currently have a 150 or 175 watt HQI bulb.. but what color should i buy?
10000k,15000k, or 20000k? or any other K i forgot to mention

Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s really your preference. I personally like the bluer look. I only have VHO`s but I use 2- super actinic and 2 50/50 for the blue look.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I use HQI bulbs and just bought the XM 1500k. You can see pics in this thread.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Wow I was reading your thread Hara. I didn't know MH bulbs would last that long 18-19 months. I thought your suppose to replace every 6 months because of the spectrum shifts.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Most metal halides should be replaced at least by 1yr date to ensure spectral efficiency.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Sanjay put out a theory at the last macna I was at, suggesting that by possibly lowering the lighting unit closer to the water, you can get longer life from the bulbs. I was testing the theory and really didnt see any problems with any of the corals. I did start to see some diatom and a little cyano. That is why I changed them out. It is known, tested fact, that different bulbs made by different manufactures have varying useful lifespans. The annual replacement is a general guideline and without the use of light meters, you cant be absolutely certain when the bulbs MUST be replaced. Obviously, my tank did not suffer any for the lack of bulb change any sooner.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Frogspawn,

If you are looking for coral growth and health go with the 10K and supplement with actinics, if you are going more for looks then go with a 15K or 20K.

I agree with changing the bulbs out every 8 to 12 months. When mine get to the 8 month mark I have a new set ready to change out. I notice that diatoms and cyano become more and more pronounced and my corals don't open as much. I recently changed out my bulbs and switched back to 14K and the difference is amazing. My corals are just beautiful and I can tell a difference in growth week from week. (I take pictures every week of my corals)

I say better safe then sorry and change them out every 8 to 12 months. Over all it isn't that great of an expense. I would much rather see my tank healthy and happy then get a few extra months of use out of a set of bulbs.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
Sanjay put out a theory at the last macna I was at, suggesting that by possibly lowering the lighting unit closer to the water, you can get longer life from the bulbs. I was testing the theory and really didnt see any problems with any of the corals. I did start to see some diatom and a little cyano. That is why I changed them out. It is known, tested fact, that different bulbs made by different manufactures have varying useful lifespans. The annual replacement is a general guideline and without the use of light meters, you cant be absolutely certain when the bulbs MUST be replaced. Obviously, my tank did not suffer any for the lack of bulb change any sooner.
So you mean lower the unit closer to the water like an inch every 6 months or something like that to increase the bulb life? And what brands have the best lifespans? My next tank is going to have MH lighting so I'm trying to get it all squared away in my mind and I'm sure this info will help others.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

In my particular instance, it costs roughly 4oo. to change out the bulbs, I do it when it requires it and will try to stretch it out as long as is possible without detriment to the corals.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In response to your question, I agree with Melosu58. It is a matter of your preference. Which bulbs (and ratings) do you have now? Are you satisfied with the color or look of your corals under those bulbs? Are you satisfied with the growth of your corals under those bulbs?

I wasn't satisfied with the color of my corals under my previous bulbs so I my next set had a higher K rating than the first.

Tags
bulb, color

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com