What could I put in a 150 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a rule of thumb, does not apply to SW fish, or Goldfish, etc. It would depend on the type of fish you get, some are messy eaters, waste producers, etc etc.

I personally think that is just an awful rule that I never follow.

Most of the time when you buy a fish, they are not always at their adult size and will always grow bigger and some fish require a bigger swimming area then others.

What is really important to keep in mind IMO is, how much waste does this fish create? Certain fish create a lot more waste then others.

There are a lot of important factors to consider and that rule should really be thrown out.

As Corty said, it's more like a "rule of thumb". I dunno what that means totally, but it's not characterized as a "rule". It's still a good rule of thumb. You gotta consider the audult size of the fish - since we do plan on keeping them to maturity. Also gotta consider the filtration, amount of LR, and maybe some other things.

I definitely wouldn't say it's an awful rule or it should be thrown out.

Beacious - Try the calculator above @ this site for the "rule of thumb". I think its based on 1" of adult fish per 5 gallons.

Do you need to know exactly how many right now? I think as you add fish you should be able to tell when you have enough. You also have to think about territorial or aggressive fish. As you add, you can watch and see how much of a territory each fish needs. :)

Inch of Fish per Gallon Rule?

Here are some fish I want.

Since I want Clownfish what kind of Anemones do I need?

What if we just change the question to "What could I put in a 300 gallon tank?" and then have people respond with several fish combinations that would work and how you would design the tank to suit this mix of fish. I remember seeing something like this somewhere once.

you don't 'need' any anemones with clownfish, and a lot of people report their tank-raised clowns won't host to an anemone...as tho the behavior has been lost due to a few generations of captive breeding.

Also, the 'rule of thumb' for SW tanks is more like 1" per 5 gallons of water, and as was mentioned doesn't take into account messy fish which produce more waste.
You also have to consider your invert population...they create some waste too, although minimal since they also clean up other waste...they still occupy space. You definitely don't want to crowd the tank.

One of the veteran SW keepers will better address your fish selection. Also, you can't post images off your desktop, which is where your image paths point to. Luckily all the common names were used for the file names.

Nice yellow tang. I want to get one but I only have a 55gal :( . Were did you get those pictures.

The blue green chromis are really kinda cool when you keep them in a school, i have 6 of em. Very peaceful fish. If you decide you want an anemone, try to get a tank raised one. They do much better and they aren't putting anyone out of a home. Anemoneman gave me this website. Thats where it got my anemone and he was just huge! Adapted very quickly. Most clownfish will host bubble tips. But be aware, keeping a anemone can be as difficult or more as keeping a coral. Also I am told you should have your tank established for about 6 months before adding one.

http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/anemones/view.nhtml?profile=anemones&UID=10024&Direction=Next

i would be careful with that pseudochromis, they can get pretty darn nasty. you might want to consider going with a royal gramma, they are far more docile and have the same coloring. Also, chromis damsels do best in schools, so you might want to take that into consideration. make sure you have lots of rockwork for everybody to get away from it all, ex if the tangs dont have seperate territories they will be confrontational, but in a 300g you shouldnt have a problem. i dont know about the wrasse and the anithias together, i would think it wouldnt be such a good idea as they have similir body shapes, which could lead to one picking on the other... im sure someone has a better ansower about those two.

also, what kind of system are you planning? do you want to do a reef eventually? if so, plan for that now. what about LR? LS? how many lbs of each? are you using a sump?

in a tank that size, you would probably need MH lighting to keep an anemone, and only then after the tank has been established a year. it is not nessescary for a clown to have an anemone, in fact mine host the sand in their absensce!

I think I'll wait on a reef tank and I want LR and LS but I don't know how it works.

System :?: Sump :?:

yea, its always nice to get some good experience with FOWLR before you dive into the reef.

LS and LR are used as surfaces for good bacteria to grow, and this helps turn fish waste into products which are not so harmful. usually people get a lb of each for every gallon of aquarium.

besides this, LR is pretty, comes with all sorts of fun little critters like feather dusters and such, and creates a bunch of nice hideyholes for your fish.

as for both, i would suggest ordering online. ive gotten the nicest rock doing that. check out tampabaysaltwater.com or liverocks.com, both are really great places.

as for the sump, there are better people to ask than me. but to make a long story short it is a resivior of water underneath the tank that is plumbed into the main tank, to create room for heater, filter, protein skimmer etc instead of having them in the main tank. it also increases tank volume, which helps you to be able to keep more fish.

in the 150 you could probably have the tang, a royal gramma instead of the pseudochomis, a couple chromis, the perc, and maybe another fish or two.

Back
Top Bottom