what detrivores to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivtec247

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was going to place an order through inlandaquatics, but they have a weird ordering system wher eyou have to email them to order. I've emailed twice over the last 4 days with no answer, so instead I'm probably gonna go with the IPSF detrivore kit.

I need some advice on how to do the Mix and Match for $99 deal they have, as I'm a newbie and have no idea what to get. I'd like to get things that would last a while and have proven hardy for others, especially since I've read from you guys that the quantity of IPSF isn't as good as inland aquatics (but again, they seem not to be answering email).

Any suggestions on what buggers among the options are best?

I have a 46gal tank, 3.5-4in dsb, 40lb live rock that is just finishing up cycling. no fish as of now. In about a week or two I'm planning on ordering a clean up crew to toss in right before the first fish.

TIA

FYI, I went with Inland Aquatics and like what I received. I have heard a few complaints with IPSF so just be careful.

I was going to place an order through inlandaquatics, but they have a weird ordering system wher eyou have to email them to order.

This is because they must be too "cheap" to buy a VeriSign and online merchant account. Who can blame them? Too darn expensive anyway. Give them a call. I ordered mine over the phone.

I dont know anything about either of them, but I can help you with what to buy.

There are three main types of cleaners. Waste, Excess food, and algae.

Waste..the main guys here are in fauna. (pods worms and such). I would definately suggest that you order an detritivor kit at some point. The more diversity the better. I can point you in the right direction when you are ready to do that, but for now it sounds like your looking more for snails and such.

Algae. I would look here (http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/invertebrates/snails/snails.html) for info on the different types of snails. The info is pretty accurate and covers the main ones.

Excess food... I would toss in a red serpent. They arent as aggressive as the green brittles, but do just as good of a job.

HTH

Just ordered the detrivore starter kit from Inland Aquatics for $70 by calling them up. Almost $40 for shipping though! They better all be alive and well!

Thanks for the link Squishyfish.. I'll let the detrivores settle for about a week before adding snails, crabs, etc for algae.

No problem.

If there is anything you would like to see added or addressed on the site, let me know. Ill see what we can do.

Back
Top Bottom