Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I see all kinds of suggestions as far as trying to keep it alive in a brand new setup. What I see as the biggest concern is....what does this thing eat? Chances are it's going to starve to death in a brand new tank. In fact, I would bet it would starve to death in a fully established and mature tank. I just don't think this is an aquarium creature.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Kurt, I have read (a while ago) that the freezing part is very painful for the animal. I'll see if I can find the article because it gives different options.
Pharyngula::How to euthanize a fish
MS 222 [Tricaine methanesulfonate] seems to be the way to go. I imagine this will work on inverts as well. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Kurt, I have read (a while ago) that the freezing part is very painful for the animal. I'll see if I can find the article because it gives different options.
Pharyngula::How to euthanize a fish
MS 222 [Tricaine methanesulfonate] seems to be the way to go. I imagine this will work on inverts as well. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
To be even more politically correct, it is debateable to whether or not fish actually feel pain with scientific minds unable to come to an agreement. I concur with the use of ms222, but in the hobbyist sense there are very few situations where a generous amount of animals are "healthy" and still need to be euthenized by this method. By the time most people are ready to euthenize a fish the animal is already in late stages of some disease affecting its internal abilities to function normally along with early tissue decomposition and oftentimes going into shock. At this point freezing and other various euthanizing methods are not going to do any more harm than what the fish is already going through.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

On a personal note, I would rather go slowly and peacefully and definitely not in the cold! LOL! I don't see how there is a real discussion on whether fish feel pain or not. Just by seeing the different animals defense mechanisims proves to me that fish can feel pain. Look at a forktail blenny, with the venemous bite, a pincushion urchin with it's spines, these are for defense and cause pain. Watch a vritter hit an anenmoe, bet they feel pain then.....Just my simple thought process.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with you in the pain theory, but science is still at odds and many will not even partake in such a discussion so not to offend.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
I see all kinds of suggestions as far as trying to keep it alive in a brand new setup. What I see as the biggest concern is....what does this thing eat? Chances are it's going to starve to death in a brand new tank. In fact, I would bet it would starve to death in a fully established and mature tank. I just don't think this is an aquarium creature.
I guess cccapt more eloquently said what I was trying to express!

mattyjust... I didn't mean to imply that you were looking to kill this animal. I understand that you just thought you were picking up a nice keepsake from the ocean. And now you're trying to figure out how to keep it alive. I just wanted to offer the other opinion that seemed obvious, but no one wanted to even mention it.

roka64... I don't mean for this to drift, but the article you posted was someone's opinion that it wasn't the best method for fish. I never said it was the "best" method, but was one of the more humane options from what I've read. Hypothermia in humans is actually a fairly peaceful way to go.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it still alive at this point if so WOW

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, it is still alive. I gave it to someone who already has an established tank today. Hopefully, everything will go well.
Next time, I will start with the tank first and not the fish or invert. Lesson learned.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Props for the right thing to do!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com