Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishboy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Posts: 318
what do i need

... Ok I'm thinking for the future.... I know I woould want to get a sw tank.... I have a 55 FW tank.... Ima move my FW to a 200 gallon and use my 55 for SW tnak with live coral.... What are the necessities for a SW... I been doing some research and figured out that Ima need a protien skimmer and a uv light in order to prevent algea growth...not sure if Ima need a cannister filter , but if I do i will use my fluval 405 .... I also understand that lighting is important for the coral.... Am I down the right track??? What else do I need? And how mich might all of these things cost me..???
__________________

__________________
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brantford, Ont, Can
Posts: 123
If it was me Id keep the 55FW and use the 200 gal for SW.. You could have an awesome SW with a 200 gal tank, the more water in a saltwater setup the better..Lighting is the expensive part, need good lights for corals etc.. You are on the right track though... Im starting a 90 gal with a 35 gal sump and I will be at about $2000. I got a new tank $200, skimmer $350, Light $380, water pump $125, heaters $75(2), Sand $150, plumbing stuff $150. I already had the 35 gal for the sump.. Then some misc stuff and some base and live rock I will be around $2000.

Shane.
__________________

__________________
amdninjaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishboy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdninjaboy
If it was me Id keep the 55FW and use the 200 gal for SW.. You could have an awesome SW with a 200 gal tank, the more water in a saltwater setup the better..Lighting is the expensive part, need good lights for corals etc.. You are on the right track though... Im starting a 90 gal with a 35 gal sump and I will be at about $2000. I got a new tank $200, skimmer $350, Light $380, water pump $125, heaters $75(2), Sand $150, plumbing stuff $150. I already had the 35 gal for the sump.. Then some misc stuff and some base and live rock I will be around $2000.

Shane.
Can you pease let me know what the sump and protien skimmer actually does... Why are their functions????
__________________
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,810
The sump which is usually located beneath your tank serves many purposes ,..it increases the overall volume of water in your system which is important in itself because the more water you have the easier it is to maintain your waters overall parameters ,... It's also a area that you can grow some useful plant life such as chaeto which in turn helps to rid the aquarium of unwanted nutrients such as nitrates.
It's also any area where you can put alot of your equipment out of the way of your main tank for a more cosmetically pleasing look, such as your thermometer,reactors,pumps,protein skimmers etc.
The protein skimmer is as interesting piece of equipment which thru a controlled mass of micro bubbles pushes suspended organic particles such as uneaten food particles, fish waste and generally any suspended junk into a collection cup where it can be disposed of BEFORE it can decay thus causing unwanted things to occur in you tank,....hope this helps,...Dary
__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
fishboy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421
The sump which is usually located beneath your tank serves many purposes ,..it increases the overall volume of water in your system which is important in itself because the more water you have the easier it is to maintain your waters overall parameters ,... It's also a area that you can grow some useful plant life such as chaeto which in turn helps to rid the aquarium of unwanted nutrients such as nitrates.
It's also any area where you can put alot of your equipment out of the way of your main tank for a more cosmetically pleasing look, such as your thermometer,reactors,pumps,protein skimmers etc.
The protein skimmer is as interesting piece of equipment which thru a controlled mass of micro bubbles pushes suspended organic particles such as uneaten food particles, fish waste and generally any suspended junk into a collection cup where it can be disposed of BEFORE it can decay thus causing unwanted things to occur in you tank,....hope this helps,...Dary



So having a sump can allow me to hide my other parts from plain view... Cool..... Is it possible two have two pumps....
__________________
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brantford, Ont, Can
Posts: 123
Two pumps for what??
__________________
amdninjaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy87

So having a sump can allow me to hide my other parts from plain view... Cool..... Is it possible two have two pumps....
Usually,...besides a small pump powering your protein skimmer or reactor,...you normally will only need one main pump ,...this "return" pump is used for pumping the water back into the tank after it's entered the sump via a overflow box or via a drilled tank,....think of it as a big loop,...water is taken into the sump from the aquarium then it goes thru all it's filtration etc and then it's pumped back into the main tank at the same rate it that it was taken in.....there's a lot of good info on this site ,.... Type in sump under search and that'll probably bring up a couple of days worth of reading
__________________

__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.