Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do i need?

I have an Oceanic 76 gallon half round aquarium. The tank, the stand, and the hood. Nothing else. I would like to build my first reef tank with it (or freshwater for African cichlids). I am really leaning towards the reef tank though. Could anyone provide me a list of everything I need to make this happen? Please be as specific as possible. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3750414154.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	58262  

Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have seen reef tanks setup like yours and they are beautiful.

For a reef tank I would go with a fuge for a filter, MH light, live rock, sand, ATO (automatic top off) I like JBJ and also AutoTopoff.com and a couple of powerheads for the money koralia is a nice one. That is the bare basics for a reef tank IMO.

A couple of things you will need before starting is a refractometer and a test kit. Since you already have a tank your have a freshwater test kit they are the same as the saltwater except for the colors vary a little and you will need a ph kit.

While you are cycling that is the time to do research and ask questions.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a tank that size, i'd also reccomend getting an RODI unit to filter your water for changes/top offs. You'll also need a heater. If you decide not to go with a skimmer/sump as a filter, you can try your luck with canister filters.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO metal halide lighting isn't necessary depending on what you plan to keep. T5 HO's can be just as bright for significantly less money. Other than that a fuge, couple power heads, heater, salt, refractometer, test kit, ro/di filter, and a whole lot of patience.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are refugiums all the same size? If not what size would I need? Is the pump part of it? What size pump? I know flow rate is important which is why I ask. Is the sump and refugiums the same thing?

Yeh this is all new to me.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Refugiums and sumps come in all different sizes to fit underneath different stands.

here are a few links for you on sumps and refugiums and stuff:

Refugiums,fuges or refuge
Berlin method of filtration
Protein skimming - is it right for you?
Sumps Explained
Cycle your salt tank
Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
IMO metal halide lighting isn't necessary depending on what you plan to keep. T5 HO's can be just as bright for significantly less money. Other than that a fuge, couple power heads, heater, salt, refractometer, test kit, ro/di filter, and a whole lot of patience.
The shape of the tank makes it difficult to light with T5 lights that is the only thing.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Concerning the lighting, what size MH
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

An RO/Di system is not necessarily needed unles syou want it...many LFS' that sell saltwater items usually have saltwater pre-mixed. Your own RO/DI system is nice for convenience, as in it is already in the house, but you need an area to keep it, you have to mix your own salt in it and you have to keep it aerated. Best thing to do is wait at least 24 hours after achieving the desired salinity level before using. On the other hand, the water from the LFS could be a little more expensive than what you would spend making your own, but, it is convenient in that you have pre-"aged" water, a known and someone else has to handle the storage and aeration
Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can that tank even be drilled? I mean, a central overflow, and maybe a new lid with lights (Making T5s much more feasible) and that is one very sharp tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com