What do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an Oceanic 76 gallon half round aquarium. The tank, the stand, and the hood. Nothing else. I would like to build my first reef tank with it (or freshwater for African cichlids). I am really leaning towards the reef tank though. Could anyone provide me a list of everything I need to make this happen? Please be as specific as possible. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• image-3750414154.jpg
    image-3750414154.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 65
I have seen reef tanks setup like yours and they are beautiful.

For a reef tank I would go with a fuge for a filter, MH light, live rock, sand, ATO (automatic top off) I like JBJ and also AutoTopoff.com and a couple of powerheads for the money koralia is a nice one. That is the bare basics for a reef tank IMO.

A couple of things you will need before starting is a refractometer and a test kit. Since you already have a tank your have a freshwater test kit they are the same as the saltwater except for the colors vary a little and you will need a ph kit.

While you are cycling that is the time to do research and ask questions.

With a tank that size, i'd also reccomend getting an RODI unit to filter your water for changes/top offs. You'll also need a heater. If you decide not to go with a skimmer/sump as a filter, you can try your luck with canister filters.

IMO metal halide lighting isn't necessary depending on what you plan to keep. T5 HO's can be just as bright for significantly less money. Other than that a fuge, couple power heads, heater, salt, refractometer, test kit, ro/di filter, and a whole lot of patience.

Are refugiums all the same size? If not what size would I need? Is the pump part of it? What size pump? I know flow rate is important which is why I ask. Is the sump and refugiums the same thing?

Yeh this is all new to me.

IMO metal halide lighting isn't necessary depending on what you plan to keep. T5 HO's can be just as bright for significantly less money. Other than that a fuge, couple power heads, heater, salt, refractometer, test kit, ro/di filter, and a whole lot of patience.
The shape of the tank makes it difficult to light with T5 lights that is the only thing.

An RO/Di system is not necessarily needed unles syou want it...many LFS' that sell saltwater items usually have saltwater pre-mixed. Your own RO/DI system is nice for convenience, as in it is already in the house, but you need an area to keep it, you have to mix your own salt in it and you have to keep it aerated. Best thing to do is wait at least 24 hours after achieving the desired salinity level before using. On the other hand, the water from the LFS could be a little more expensive than what you would spend making your own, but, it is convenient in that you have pre-"aged" water, a known and someone else has to handle the storage and aeration :)

I would not necessarily trust the water from an LFS without testing it on a regular basis. I have heard some horror stories. Not all LFS are bad but not all are good either. You can get a 100 gallon a day portable unit for about $65 from www.purewaterculb.com The big advantage is you can better control what you put in it. Different salt mixes have different levels of things such as calcium. Mixing your own alows you to use what works best for you not what was cheapest for the LFS.

The tank is already drilled through the bottom centered towards the back.

Good point :)..I happen to have a very good location near me but I do test each time I buy. I have an RO/DI unit of my own but not the room to mix and store.

Back
Top Bottom