Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

what do i need?

i will start my first SW next year after the holidays cause if your a parent you know how expensive they are!
i want to do a corner tank in my living room of a decent size i know above 30g, from the corner to out i have the space to go 2+ ft each way.(does that make sense).
i have another area to put a 55g but i am such a paranoid freak about a kid knocking it over, i know i know... everyone tells me there is no way this will happen but that's just how i am.
i want to know a list of the items i should need to have for the tank to be complete.
i hear people talk about skimmers but have no earthly idea what they are or what they are used for and i guess i could google but i think asking professional reefers are the way to go.
this also is just for while im black friday shopping(online) and i see something on this list for a good price, i might pick it up.
thank you in advance for any advice given!

ps. if you post a link i will not be able to see it because my boss has blocked almost all internet sites because my coworkers are idiots!
not this one cause she likes me, we both have weird hobbies, i have this and she raises chickens...

Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you want a fowlr (fish only with live rock) or a reef?

Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i want a reef, i am amazed with the beauty of brain corals and zoas and mushrooms
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then you will need reef capable lighting (metal halide/ t5 Ho/ LEDs) which is usually the most expensive part of the build and a skimmer will be needed for a reed tank that size imo.what they do is send bubbles though a chamber of water. The surface tension of the bubble will grab small debris and organics out out of the water and bubble them up into the skimmer cup which will help keep nitrates down by removing the material before it has a chance to break down.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Then you will need reef capable lighting (metal halide/ t5 Ho/ LEDs) which is usually the most expensive part of the build and a skimmer will be needed for a reed tank that size imo.what they do is send bubbles though a chamber of water. The surface tension of the bubble will grab small debris and organics out out of the water and bubble them up into the skimmer cup which will help keep nitrates down by removing the material before it has a chance to break down.
i have three planted fw tanks so i totally understand the lighting issue, i think i would go with led just cause they have the blue lights built in and i always have to buy separate blue lights for my other tanks. i swear even my 10 g lights cost me total of $120
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you'll need:

Tank
Skimmer
Heater
Filter or sump
Rock 1- 1 1/2 #/gallon
Salt
RO or ro/di water
Sand (unless you go bare bottom)
Light
Hydrometer or Refractometer
2-3 powerheads
Thermometer
Water testing kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate,
pH, alkalinity (master kit should have all)
That should get you started, of course you'll need a few other things (food, turkey Baster, etc) later, but this will get you cycling at least. Good luck on finding deals!!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wait wait wait! Why do I need a turkey baster ???
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Makes it easier to spot feed lol you can also suck up stuff from the sand.bed with it
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Turkey basters are great for spot feeding certain bottom dwellers and also corals. You might also need one for blowing sand off rocks that certain fish put there.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I finally decided a place in my house to put the tank just have to get Aaron to take the drawers out and close it all in and put in more support cause the granit itself weights a lot, the tank water rocks, all will be too much for what's there now, what do y'all think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-355380008.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	126494

Please don't mind the box of dog toys lol that's their Xmas presents... Lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com