What do i need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay jay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to start a saltwater tank 55g. What all should I get?

I am also starting a 55g tank. I've been told to buy two filters, a heater, a hydrometer, and some chemicals to start.

I have an under water filter that I used for freshwater can I just use that?

Under gravel that what I meant to say lol. So you don't think I could just use that?

Nope, those are like the worst filters ever in my book hahahha, research sand beds first. SW is not a whim of the moment thing, trust me, a successful tank requires lots of research. I would look for a canister, hob, or sump. Add lots of rock an research sand beds a ton

I am also starting a 55g tank. I've been told to buy two filters, a heater, a hydrometer, and some chemicals to start.

Who gave you this advice? If I was to be asked what do I need for a salt tank the answer would be more like - rock, power heads, ro-di water, test kits, a refractometer, sand, light heater, protein skimmer.
No chemicals (if you can avoid it) and stay away from canisters if you can. I run a 55g with no mechanical filtration. Best advice I can give is do plenty of research! So many different ways to set up a salt tank ;)

Are you planning on doing fish-only or reef? Reef is more picky with water parameters, so you want RODI, good filtration and good lighting. Fish -only is less picky...lighting does not matter so much. Some will disagree, but I feel that RO water (or even tap depending on your local water) is fine. Either way, good filtration (live rock/sand for biological) and protein skimmer are important. Refractometer is a good idea over a hydrometer for either.

I want fish but maybe some reef to make it look cooler

Back
Top Bottom