Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do i need?

Hi guys. So i have a 40g tropical tank at the moment, but have always wanted a saltwater reef tank. Basically, ice been looking online and on forums aswell as this one, and im totally baffled! I need someone to break it down to me in the easiest way possible, what filter is going to be the best, i already know about live rock and sand, but the rest are just too confusing for me to work out, so again if someone could tell me:

What external filter will be the best/cheapest?

What lighting am i going to need?

Any other equipment i will need?

Step by step guide to setting up (simple as possible for someone with 0 knowledge of reef aqaurium)

And finally, coral and fish that will be the best?

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a skimmer will do for filtration and your live rock wil also be your main sorce of filtrarion too. You will want to cycle like any other tank lights I would suggest something like the tao dimmable leds on ebay. For fish yoy could go with a few different types but really its uo to you live aquaria would be your best bet just look in the nano fish section.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool thanks for the reply, what skimmer would you recommend for my 150ltr bow front? Does a skimmer hang onto the tank? Id rather one you can out in the cabinet underneath the tank, reasonable price? And what filtration will i need in the skimmer?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyBusiness40 View Post
Cool thanks for the reply, what skimmer would you recommend for my 150ltr bow front? Does a skimmer hang onto the tank? Id rather one you can out in the cabinet underneath the tank, reasonable price? And what filtration will i need in the skimmer?

There's a lot to decide on setting up a tank before going out and buying it.

1. Refugium - most reef tanks utilize these. They allow you to put unsightly equipment into as well as grow a macro algae for nutrient export. You can keep a skimmer in one of these.

2. Filtration - all filtration is done with live rock. I would suggest buying 1 - 2 lbs of live rock per gallon of tank volume. You can buy dry rock at a fraction of the price and cycle it in the same manner as a fishless cycle.

3. Flow - shoot for 10x - 40x the tank volume per hour in flow with an assortment of powerheads.

4. Lighting - decide on the types of coral that you would like to keep and then purchase a light to match. This is commonly the most expensive purchase.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im looking at a fluval 206 external filter for this. Lots of good reviews, would you say thats a hood choice or not? Its up to 200l aquariums so i guess its alright for my tank. Would i still need a skimmer if i bought this?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Im looking at a fluval 206 external filter for this. Lots of good reviews, would you say thats a hood choice or not? Its up to 200l aquariums so i guess its alright for my tank. Would i still need a skimmer if i bought this?

Actually, canister filters are a bad idea on salt water tanks. They generally just contribute to high nitrate levels. Salt water tanks don't need a traditional filter. Instead think of the live rock as your filter media. It is super porous and all the bacteria you need will grow on and in it.

Bulk Dry Live Rock - Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand - Bulk Reef Supply

Skimmers are there for nitrate removal. You don't absolutely NEED one but it will make your life ALOT easier as well as save you a ton of salt.

Instead of looking at a traditional filter for flow look at powerheads such as these.
Water Pumps & Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia Evolution

I would personally choose both a 600 and an 850 for a 40 gallon tank and the koralias are a very good brand of powerhead. I've had mine for a year and a half now and couldn't be happier.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay. So just to be clear, no conventional filter, a skimmer, live rock for filtration, and powerheads? So once i have all of this, how do i go about setting up? Also i want live sand and some soft coral as ive heard these are easiest to look after?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry for so many questions but i really need as much clear advice as possible before i commit to converting over to a reef aquarium!

Old 08-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Okay. So just to be clear, no conventional filter, a skimmer, live rock for filtration, and powerheads? So once i have all of this, how do i go about setting up? Also i want live sand and some soft coral as ive heard these are easiest to look after?

Yeppers. And you also need to decide whether you want a refugium or not.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is a refugium necessary or can i still run the tank without one? Will there ever be a need for one in future?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com