What do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allisonm24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 45 gal tank and it is currently a freshwater and has been that way for 4 years. Thinking about changing it to saltwater. I don’t know anything about salt water and would like to know good brands of all the equipment and items I would need in order to have a basic set up of salt water. Looking for good brands that will work for long amounts of time and a basic explanation of all the equipment I will need and what each item/equipment does.

Thank you,

This is not a for-sure thing, but I would like to know each part and item I would need for saltwater that is a good brand and a guess on the price of how much it would cost to change to saltwater.

That depends on what you are looking to do, FOWLR or reef? If FOWLR you can run it basically like a freshwater tank. You just want to make sure you have 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand in the system as it is the biological filtration in our systems.

As for a reef, you'd want intense lighting to keep photosynthetic corals live.
The Taotronics LEDs you can find on Ebay and amazon for the best bang for your buck for this and they cover about 2 ft of tank. Check out reef octopus or eshopps for skimmers. Other than that it's hard to point one in the right direction without knowing what they want to do.

Back
Top Bottom