Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Cool What do I need for this new tank?

I'm not a total newbie... I have had a 50 gallon tub, fish only tank for 10 years in my classroom. I have retired and brought it home with me to really baby my old fish, a few additions & some new corals. I also decided to set up my old freshwater tank (which was stored in my attic) with saltwater. I decided to do this after my mom's Mother's Day gift, a tiny little Oscellaris Clownfish, outgrew his Fluval 2 gallon tank! She had gotten so attached to him (as did I) that I set up the tank and bought him a tank mate where he is happily swimming all over the 33 gallon flatback hex. Now, that he's out of his tiny corner in that 2 gallon tank, I'm starting to wonder about this set up. I never worried about the 50 gallon with it's bioballs (now disposed of) and it's protein skimmer. The 33 gallon is set up with only a whisper filter 3 (which, I was told, was plenty of filtration for the tank size 7-8 years ago). I honestly only have the 2 tiny clownfish, 1 watchman goby, a pistil shrimp, a fire cleaner shrimp, 8-`10 tiny hermit crabs, & 2 turbo snails. The several pieces of live rock have a few tiny feather dusters and 3 nice round sponges. Do you think I'm ok as is for a while? I'm wondering if I need a protein skimmer. I had a 20 gallon marine -fish only- tank at school with no protein skimmer- it did have power heads though-, and it was ok for the years that I had it...before I upgraded to the 50 gal. I only got a protein skimmer with the 50 gal setup 10 years ago. I was hoping with this few fish I'd be alright without one. l'd like my next addition to be a sea anemone for the clown fish- which I know will need a good light. I'm thinking a Marineland LED Reef Capable system...I've been watching ebay for a used one. Does anyone have an opinion on this.... The order of future purchases is my problem. They will have to be one at a time since I am now living without a teacher's salary (which was hugh....ha). Also, I'd need a hang on the back protein skimmer if I get one. Does anyone have suggestions on a good brand & size for 33 gals.? I was watching ebay for that too. Thanks for any and all advice.

weagle117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
How much live rock do you have? You should add more live rock and get some purple coraline algae if you don't already have some growing.. the biggest step in my opinion in your case would be to definately get a good fixture and yes the marineland reef capable one looks great just make sure it produces enough light for your tank..

davidmaguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Here's a link with some basics as far as what you may need

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

I personally don't think the marineland reef ready light is good enough for a nem. The watts are low and people have some not so good things to report when using them for corals. But they are pretty anbd easy to setup. I would look into some t5 fixtures, best bang for your buck in my opinion.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com