What do I need to get started?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

belkez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have lots of freshwater fish, but i was wondering what i need to get a small fish only saltwater aquarium up and running.

Can anybody guide me in the cheapest direction. I am looking for something very basic but i have no clue as to what i need.

please and thanks

Filter
Sand (I use Aragonite live sand)
salt mixture of some kind
Hydrometer
A decent light
Live rock if you want to have it
Test kit to check your water

That should get ya started on your way, forgive me if i forgot something.

Yeah.
That should do it.
I would only add that if you're going to use live rock, a power head would not go amiss. Jeff

i have a test kit for freshwater. what tests do i need to perform that are not included in my freshwater test kit?
Specifications: The kit is complete for testing tap water and aquarium water. It includes pH (6.0 to 7.6), high range pH (7.4 to 8.8), Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate.

thanks much

I would take a little different approach. Lose the filter and replace with LR and a skimmer. With this type of setup only a normal output flourescent is needed.

tank, light/hood, heater, substrate(4in DSB), LR(1.5lbs/gal), skimmer and some ph for good water movement.

Of course the tests mentioned above as well as salt is needed. The FW kit will not likely work. I keep pH at 8.2 and weekly test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphates, calcium and alkalinity. I keep a closer eye on salinity and use a refractometer although a hydrometer will work.

i was looking at protein skimmers and I'm not sure which one to get.
for the tank, i plan on using a 20 gallon long. or possibly just a 10 gallon. I have both tanks just sitting around
can you guys guide me in choosing the right one?

Larger tank is definately a plus. I recommend 30 gals or more for a first tank. If the tank is small like the 10 gal you may be able to skip the skimmer. It would mean frequent partial water changes but with that size tank it isnt too bad.

I use a seaclone and am happy but many here do not like it. It is commonly recommended to get the aqua C remora or the bak pak. I am sticking with the seaclone even though it takes some adjustments to keep it going smooth.

in my opinion...
20 gallon aint big enuff (
RMPD is right 30 gall minimum...
if u go ahead with a 20g..u dont need a skimmer...
i dont have one on my 35g :) i just do a 10% weekly change...
but i use a fluval 404 too for filtration and 2 power heads )
30 pound LR and sand
good luck anyways.....(u may need it) :wink:

so 20 gallons won't cut it huh?
that's a bummer. I might be alright if i keep only like one or two small fish in a 20 gal. I just want some beautiful fish.
freshwater just doesn't do the trick anymore. I need the good stuff. 8O

edit: RMPD? what is?

Skimmer

It will be hard to find a skimmer for a 20g that will work good. most are too tall or too powerful. I would use a larger tank. I would never recommend anything under 30g but the more water the better your chances of success.

This is just a personal opinion, but loosing the filter and going to live rock for filtration really doesn't cut it. A skimmer will pull out ammonia,nitrites as well as other stuff, but what pulls out the big stuff (poop).

I am not saying that lr doesn't filter, but not at the level I prefer myself.

ya...
deffo need a filter(fluval r pretty good) no matter wot size tank u got...
but a protein skimmer i would say no need for anything under 30-35 gall.
my opinion anyways.

go with a HOB skimmer, which one you want it up to how much you want to spend. some to look at are the aqua c urchin and remora the cpr's and seaclones, cant think of anymore

First off, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
The very first thing you should buy when looking into SW tanks is a good book about them. I like "The Conscienious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. A 20gal, while not ideal, will work for a first SW tank. In a tank of that size, keeping water parameters consistant and acceptable is your biggest challenge. I second the idea of using LR (30-40lbs), a 3in sand bed and a good skimmer for your filtration. With this you will not need a mechanical filter (like a fluval) but it would add low to the tank and give you a place to run chemical filtration (like carbon). Keep up the research and let us know how things go.

Back
Top Bottom