What do i need to start a FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an empty 50 gallon. I don't wanna start a reef because I don't have the money or experience to to care for coral.

So I wanna do a 50 gallon predator tank in the next few months or so.

I'm just looking to get a checklist started. So any help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Aaron

Bucket of salt
Filteration
Heater
Powerheads
Live sand
Live rock
Water conditioner OR an R/O system
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Test kits for:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

It's intimidating at first, but it gets easier and more addicting of course! What might shock you is the initial starting up cost. Luckily, you won't have to get an expensive light since it's a FOWLR tank, but I highly recommend you invest in a over sized protein skimmer. That will be your highest cost. Good luck and there's always hobbyists to guide you along the way if you do decide to take this route :).

I really really really want to. Theres just no comparison in the sheer beauty of fish you can have in SW versus a FW.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Should I run a skimmer and a filter?

No problem. A canister filter would be better, but I'm sure you can get away with a HOB filter since it's FOWLR. What do you want to stock it with?

obscurereef said:
No problem. A canister filter would be better, but I'm sure you can get away with a HOB filter since it's FOWLR. What do you want to stock it with?

I was thinking a snowflake eel, a fu Manchu lion and a clown perhaps.

The only thing I don't like about possibly starting pred tank is that I think. They'll eat all the inverts :/

So I'm still contemplating a community or pred

Don't know about the clown and the lion, since lions can eat anything that fits in their mouth. Man do I want an eel, but I have a mixed reef so that wouldn't really work out :lol:! The only invert I know that would be okay in a FOWLR tank would be an urchin. They eat algae, but that includes the beautiful coralline algae. If you ever have plans for corals in the future I'd recommend going with a community.

obscurereef said:
Don't know about the clown and the lion, since lions can eat anything that fits in their mouth. Man do I want an eel, but I have a mixed reef so that wouldn't really work out :lol:! The only invert I know that would be okay in a FOWLR tank would be an urchin. They eat algae, but that includes the beautiful coralline algae. If you ever have plans for corals in the future I'd recommend going with a community.

What fish do you have??

What fish do you have??

-Chromis
-Clownfish
-Purple firefish
-Hector's Goby
-Foxface Lo
-Leopard Wrasse
-Tomini Tang
-Banggai Cardinal
-McCosker's Wrasse (just added yesterday, hasn't come out)
-Randall's Goby (added few days ago, but hasn't come out)
-Fire shrimp
-Cleaner Shrimp

Pretty much done as far as stocking fish goes. Heavy stocking, but keeping up on water changes and have an overrated skimmer.

70 DT and a 45 sump (thought it was 55, but I believe it's actually 45). Lots of movement for sure. Just hope I don't run into problems down the road. Definitely can't slack off with maintenance!

Def not. I'd love a tank like that. I like a lot of movement. A lot of Color too. Do you have an RO/DI?

Yes I do. Mine is from BFS (Buckeye Field Supply), but BRS seems to be the most popular brand. I was changing the filters and for some reason the pressure isn't working...or I don't know maybe I put something in incorrectly...Getting it fixed soon, but lately I've been using RO water from the LFS and grocery store and there's also a public aquarium close by that filters sea water and is open, free so I use that sometimes. None of my LFS sell RO/DI water, but it hasn't taken too much of a toll on the system.

I think I might try a community after all. Like the way that fish interact. Predator tank might not be active enough. For. 50 gallon do I need a sump? Or just a protein skimmer and a canister?

Definitely have a filter or sump AND a skimmer. It'll help keep water parameters in check and help prevent algae/cyano. Skimmer might have been my smartest purchase. :)

Beengirl said:
Definitely have a filter or sump AND a skimmer. It'll help keep water parameters in check and help prevent algae/cyano. Skimmer might have been my smartest purchase. :)

What does a protein skimmer do that a filter doesn't?

protein skimmers use a pump (usually aerated) to force highly dense aerated water into a column. as the bubbles rise, they join to form larger bubbles. and since saltwater is bi-polar by nature, when the bubles break and rejoin, they separate the un wanted waste from the water. and since the bubbles are in a column, they carry the waste to the top, where it is eventually collected and discarded. the waste collected from a skimmer cannot be collected by any form of filtration other than skimming. and trust me, spend the money on a high end skimmer

Back
Top Bottom