What do i put in my sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so this is a picture of my diy sump. It's built and everything. Section 1 is a wet dry set up where the water first enters. The water falls into a section then overflows into the second section... An so on. My main question is what should I is as filter media and in what sections. I plan on having macro algae in the sump. Here I what I have to work with. Pls give advice as to what I should have and into what section.
1. Macro algae
2. Dsb
3. Crushed coral and crushed oyster shells.( I would like to use them as a buffer)
4. Bio balls
5. Ceramic cylinders.
6. Filter sponge
7. Carbon filter

Listed above is anything that I am willing to work with.

Attachments

• image-383637761.jpg
    image-383637761.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 333
  • image-279095489.jpg
    image-279095489.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 241
  • image-200606697.jpg
    image-200606697.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 303
deepsand bed an microalgae, with live rock rubble. suck out that nitrate and allow the live rock to break down the amonia

i would not have crushed coral or oyster shells anywhere in the system. they will trap detritus no matter where you put them. use smaller grain aragonite based sand. it will buffer, but not collect stuff as easily.

i also vote for no bio balls or ceramic cylinders for similar reasons, and that they don't convert nitrate. your 1-1.5 pounds per gallon of live rock will be sufficient surface area for bacteria.

sponge material is ok if you rinse it out regularly.

Yeah I have been leaning away from the bio balls and ceramic cylinders. In my main tank I have about 70lbs of base rock. Soon to be live. (60 gal display). I think I am going to put a filter sponge in the wet dry part. Then macro algae in part 2. Part 1 will be a Dsb. I'm thinking 4 in is good. Do I need a cuc in the Dsb to sift the sand? I was thinking of just leaving it and not disturbing it ever. Correct me if I'm wrong. Then more filter sponge in the bubble trap to help with micro bubbles. Does this sound like a good plan?

well, i think it needs tiny creatures in the sand bed to make little holes here and there, but i think large snails like nassarius do more harm than good. i've never utilized a DSB, but from what i've read, it needs to have very low oxygen areas in it.

i would not want any sponge material in between the refugium and the return pump. you want those little creatures that live in there to reach the DT eventually.

Ok I'll keep that in mind about the filter sponge. Yeah the Dsb would use sugar size sand. I would think using a smaller grain sand would make low oxygen areas near the bottom.

from my research, you don't want anythign disturbing the inner most parts of the DSB, else the critters that turn the nirate into oxygen won't have a place to live. the require an oxygen limited environement to live and be benifitial to your system

Gti_Leo said:
from my research, you don't want anythign disturbing the inner most parts of the DSB, else the critters that turn the nirate into oxygen won't have a place to live. the require an oxygen limited environement to live and be benifitial to your system

Yeah I really did not was anything like snails living I'n the sump. So will the dimensions of section 1 be large enough for a Dsb? It's dimensions are . 4in x w , 10in x l, 5 1/2 In x h,

well i'de use the whole middle section as a refugium with DSB. so place chaeto in there with the DSB both will help suck out nitrates. section1 you could put soem miracal mud.

the refugium will grow all kinds of organizms that will be benificial to the aquarium life. i've seen snails and such begin to grow there.

look up newyorksteelo on youtube, he has a 4 part DIY sump refugium, which he had constantly tweaked to benifit his 90 gallon reef

Back
Top Bottom