what do with the live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishrfreinds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im buying a 100 lbs live rock today. its from a busniess going out sale and im getting it .50 cents a LBS. As everone knows my tank is have major problem with nitrite and it should be over soon(in a week or 2). Should i put the rock in the tank or put it in other tanks for the time being. ive got a 37, 29, and 18 gallon tanks.

thanks

Yes. Main tank if it is cured. If it stinks, cure it in another container unless you're putting it in an empty tank...

Ive got a problem i think i got 2 much lr for once :D . You goes are going to get jelouis i got this all for $20 im not sure how much (75 LBS.) and a bubble aneneme in QT.

Attachments

• mvc-002s_126.jpg
    mvc-002s_126.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 58
  • mvc-006s_124.jpg
    mvc-006s_124.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 67
  • mvc-005s_147.jpg
    mvc-005s_147.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 85
If you are already having issues with your water levels and you already have fish in there (Sorry I didn't see your other post so I don't know what kind of problems or if you even have fish in there), adding a HUGE amount of uncured or needing to be cured better rock is going to mean more trouble for the already un-stable water levels and fish in your tank... I say make sure by tossing it in one of your other empty tanks if you can... better to be safe than sorry IMO... 100 lbs is a lot and will create a spike if it's in need of curing at all... That's always what I have been told anyhow.

:)

Congrats on that deal! :mrgreen:

It doesn't look like too much to me. Just enough or maybe even add some to the main! :)

it was cured 5 year old tank never seen anthing like it mushrooms, tons of anemneme(the good kind) sea grass. huried home 12 min drive. doubt the was that much die off.

there a problem literaly unfloding its Aiptasia its all over one rock but im all ready in the Process of removing them shot hot water at most of them that seem to stop them... So far.

Attachments

• mvc-050s.jpg
    mvc-050s.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 33
  • mvc-044s.jpg
    mvc-044s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 38
Okay there gone now only had about 20.
hot water did the trick. there are about 3 left and that only cause cant reach them. oh and good news the nitrite have drop from 5.0 to .25 this morning all ready maybe by tommorow it well be 0. so thanks for the help and advice.

here my final picture

Attachments

• day_2__6_.jpg
    day_2__6_.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 42
i just tested the water everthing at ZERO. except nitrate which is 5.0. Friday, maybe sooner i'll go buy some fish like clown or something.

So end the end of this battle of cycling, i have won. It wasnt easy it wasnt cheap (or maybe it was :wink: ) but im sure glad its over,
and maybe, no surely it is worth it.

:BIG:

Your tank has just finished the cycle and will probably do a mini cycle due to adding the LR. The anemone was a bad purchase. They should only be added to stable mature tanks. I would try to find it a new home. Congrats on the LR purchase. (y)

Back
Top Bottom