What do you do when a fish dies in qt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a Clown Goby on Sunday and it died on Tuesday.No apparent signs of illness and no meds added to the tank. Is there any thing I need to do to the tank? No ammonia present and as soon as I noticed fish was deceased i remove fish from the tank and tested for ammonia. Is there anything else I need to test? I would like to get another fish and soon. Houdini,my Green Chromis, is doing well in display. I am watching him swim right now. i am really wanting to get him some tank mates! Any help would be appreciated. :fish1:

What do you do when a fish dies in qt?

I Remove it :D lol

test water parameters

than do a small water change basically is it

Last edited by a moderator:
I have plastic plumbing pipe ends,a powerhead, two sponge filters that (specs are for a 20g.) and a heater. I haven't done the wc yet. I want to get another clown goby. I have researched but sure about their hardyness. Are they more sensitive to parameters? I think that is what may have contributed to why fish didn't make. I didn't acclimate for long enough and I didn't adjust the salinity enough. Fish was used to 1.024 and it water was 1.018. After I moved Houdini to dt I continued to add a source of ammonia once a week to keep tank cycled.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How did you acclimate the fish? Poor acclimation can stress no arrivals. Your set up sounds fine, but as there is little Beneficial bacteria, you'll need frequent water changes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That might be your issue. Water changes are necessary in order to keep ammonia and nitrites down because you won't have anything to hold beneficial bacteria in there, be it live rock or filter media. I would suspect that ammonia and nitrite levels did in your clown tang as the water changes weren't daily to manage these poisonous elements.

That might be your issue. Water changes are necessary in order to keep ammonia and nitrites down because you won't have anything to hold beneficial bacteria in there, be it live rock or filter media. I would suspect that ammonia and nitrite levels did in your clown tang as the water changes weren't daily to manage these poisonous elements.

He did say he has two sponge filters in there, but didn't mention if they were cultured or new.
If they were already cultured with BB, I doubt a tiny clown goby would produce enough waste to pollute the water that much, plus he said he tested and it was ok.

I say it was most likely not healthy to begin with without more info.
A new fish dying within a day or two of getting it isn't unheard of and often it has nothing to do with what/how you did things.

but, to be on the safe side I would clean the QT tank out, let the filters and tank dry just to be certain there aren't any pathogens present.

I got a Clown Goby on Sunday and it died on Tuesday.No apparent signs of illness and no meds added to the tank. Is there any thing I need to do to the tank? No ammonia present and as soon as I noticed fish was deceased i remove fish from the tank and tested for ammonia. Is there anything else I need to test? I would like to get another fish and soon. Houdini,my Green Chromis, is doing well in display. I am watching him swim right now. i am really wanting to get him some tank mates! Any help would be appreciated. :fish1:

wait a minute, just read this again. Am I understanding this right?
you already had a fish in quarantine and then added the goby?

what's the point of a quarantine tank then?
you should ideally only have one fish at a time in QT, or at least fish purchased same day/same place.
that alleviates possible infection of other critters.
you took a chance by putting the chromis in the display if it was in QT with the goby.

I get out of a thread about a clown tang and that must have carried over...goby huh? Well, simply might have not like being transported into a new setup or sick to begin with.

wait a minute, just read this again. Am I understanding this right?
you already had a fish in quarantine and then added the goby?

what's the point of a quarantine tank then?
you should ideally only have one fish at a time in QT, or at least fish purchased same day/same place.
that alleviates possible infection of other critters.
you took a chance by putting the chromis in the display if it was in QT with the goby.
No, Green Chromis remained in DT and Goby was in QT.
I get out of a thread about a clown tang and that must have carried over...goby huh? Well, simply might have not like being transported into a new setup or sick to begin with.
I think that was it and I didn't acclimate long enough.He was very active at the store and semi active when I first introduced him and as time went on less and less active. He was in bag for 7 ish hours and I only acclimated for 30 minutes. I have done research for a couple of years now before even getting fish and I kept making rookie mistakes...
What i should have done is get fish home asap. It was a 3 hr trip from lfs but I didn't go home right away.
Test my water(which I did) and the water in the bag(didn't).
Acclimated fish until water in bag matched water in QT(again didn't test water).
I firmly believe in QT. Houdini is alive because of it. I just want to get him some tank mates.I also want to get some corals to make my FOWLR a reef.
I want to get another clown goby but should I wait and get something else?If so do you have suggestions? My DT is a 40 breeder with about 60 lbs of live rock and 40 plus lbs of live sand.
I would like to get a Purple Firefish, but they are delicate and I want to wait until DT is more mature and I have more experience at keeping fish alive. My other stock choices are semi aggressive, Clowns(a pair of black and white Ocellaris) and maybe a Lawn Mower Blenny. I wanted 6 Blue/Green Chromis to watch them Shoaling but my experience has taught me they would just pick each other off(Houdini was 1 of 3 in QT,never again ).i also want to get a cleaner shrimp and a starfish.
Some background: Houdini was in QT for 3 mos( I had to get lights on my DT and get the Nitrates down to manageable level). I would only QT next fish 6 wks to 2mos depending on whether fish was ill or not.
Thanks for all your input! :fish1:

He did say he has two sponge filters in there, but didn't mention if they were cultured or new.
If they were already cultured with BB, I doubt a tiny clown goby would produce enough waste to pollute the water that much, plus he said he tested and it was ok.

I say it was most likely not healthy to begin with without more info.
A new fish dying within a day or two of getting it isn't unheard of and often it has nothing to do with what/how you did things.
but, to be on the safe side I would clean the QT tank out, let the filters and tank dry just to be certain there aren't any pathogens present.

I just saw this post. Fish was very active at the store and showed no sign of illness(he was not transported directly home after purchase) but I think you may be right. The filters were cultured with BB because I just did a wc and added salt(salinity was low) and before adding new fish I needed to "feed" BB keep it alive until I could add new addition.
If I clean off( just suction food and other foreign particles) and let the filters dry out,I will need to recycle the tank,correct? If this is correct,should I have recycled tank after putting Houdini in DT even though he was healthy?
:thanks:

No, Green Chromis remained in DT and Goby was in QT.

I think that was it and I didn't acclimate long enough.He was very active at the store and semi active when I first introduced him and as time went on less and less active. He was in bag for 7 ish hours and I only acclimated for 30 minutes.

I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that may be a likely cause unless he was packed with pure oxygen and placed in a cooler or something to keep the temp stable for the trip.
also if the salinity was as different as you said, then yeah, 30 minutes probably wasn't long enough/too fast of a transition.
probably a combo of these different factors.

we used to get fish flown from Hawaii and they were only bagged for about 12-14 hours and that was with pure oxygen and sedatives to slow there respiration.
even then we would have some DOA's.

I will say I don't miss having to be at LAX at 2 AM to pick up fish...LOL

You mentioned the fish went from 1.024 to 1.018 salinity in a short acclimation period. The maximum salinity change is 0.003 per DAY. you changed twice that right away. That may have been enough to stress the fish to death.

It is easier to quickly return a salinity to normal (1.026) from a low level (such as a stores 1.018) than to rapidly lower it to an abnormal level. If you want to run a hyposalinity level of 1.018 for your QT, you should start at a normal level for a couple days before slowly lowering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom