What do you guys think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b-towndoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so here is the (long winded) story. About 2 months ago I found a nice 65 gallon tank on craigslist and couldn't resist. My current tank is only 4 months old and is a 30gallon and doing well. I recently moved and am planning on having my 65 gallon be my DT (in my new house) and eventually turning my 30g (10 min away still in my old house) into a QT tank.

About a 1.5 months ago I put some base rock and live rock together in some bins and have had them running for over a month. I have now set up my new tank 10 days ago using 80lbs of aragonite sand with about 16 ounces of sand from my existing tank. I now have the live rock and (hopefully live by now) base rock in the tank that sat in SW for over a month. The water was a mixture of water from my exisiting tank (i just sped up my water changes a tad bit and used some of it in my new tank) and ro/di water and a tad water from my new well (had it tested and with its 5 micron filter showns 0.5ppm on TDS, no ammonia/nitrite/nitrate but still a little elevated phosphate).

65g tank has currently two Koralia evolution 750s, Eheim 650 return to 20 gallon sump, corner overflow and a simple HOB filter I have running for now. I will be moving my Aqua C Remora skimmer to the sump when I move my livestock over (and eventually upgrading my skimmer when i set up my QT). I have a 300 W heater as well. Lights are a 6 39W T5 with 3 actinic and 3 10K and 8 LED moonlights.

I have tested my water today after it has been running now for about 10 days in the tank, my numbers are as follows:

ph 8.0 (taken during the day with lights on for ~10 hours), ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, phosphate 0.25. Temp 79. Salinity 1.026 with refractometer.

Currently there are some cuc, shrooms, zoas are in there on the LR and doing well. Do you guys think it would be safe to go ahead and transfer over my livestock from my 30g? I need to move my 30g from the old house and just feel it would be better to move the livestock once if possible.

Current livestock in that is: Yellow watchman goby, Coral beauty, Maroon Clown, Coral Banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp, various CUC, some zoas/shrooms/Kena tree/frogspawn coral.

My plan was to take quite abit of the water from my 30g and do about a 25% water change in my 65g using the water from my 30g when I move the livestock/remaining live rock over.

So after reading all this, what do you guys think of the plan?

Thanks!

how much rock is in the 30? are you transferring all of that as well? if so, i think it will be fine.

I have around 30lbs of rock in the 30gallon and am planning on moving all of it over at once. Altogether it will probably be 70lbs or so in the 65gallon. Right now with the rock I have in the 65g quite a bit of the base rock is covered by my DSB, does rock still benefit if it is covered?

thanks for the help!

That should be fine, EXCEPT, don't take any water from the 30. It is depelted of trace elements and has no benefit to the new tank. PWC in the new tank should only be done with freshly mixed RODI water. The livestock will thank you for it. Just match SG and Temp as close as possible. Even though it's only a 10 minute ride between tanks I would still acclimate the fish to the new tank water before releasing them.

Back
Top Bottom