what do you guys think of this tank for a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bianca90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I'm new to salt water aquariums, and I,ve been doing a lot of research and I wanted to know what do you guys think about making this tank a reef? I'm still working on buying the lights but after that, what are my chances of maintaning a reef in this tank.

40 gallont tank, 40+ lbs liverock, 2.65G protein skimmers (dry and wet), 1 canister filter, 1 regular filter, 1 maxi jet 600 powerhead. 20+ snails, 1 emerald crad, 10+ hermit crab, 1 feather duster, 1 chocolate chip star, ! Yellow tailed damsel.

Choc star won't work. They will eat and destroy corals but you could make it into a sweet little reef. Your gonna want 1.5-2 lbs of LR per gallon

Ok, good to know, and yes I am going to buy about 20 more pounds.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110329_220045.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110329_220045.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20110329_222903.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110329_222903.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 91
I wouldn't go with a canister filter for a reef tank, instead of the maxi jet a koralia get a couple, go with less hermits they can become a pain when they decide they need a new shell, and be very picky on the kind of snails.

NO DAMSEL unless that is the only fish you are going to put in there. The older they get the meaner they get.

Feather dusters usually starve to death in new tanks.

My petstore lied to me so much... I guess I should've done the research instead of asking them. I am planning on rehoming the star and the fish. Oh and the skimmer as well. If I buy and have one of the skimmers there, a refigium, and some filtering media, would I Still to buy more filters? Would that sump replace the canister?

I fuge or a sump is the best way to go on a tank you can have all the hardware like the heater, and skimmer tucked away in it.

The light you chose will depend on the types of corals you want, soft corals use less light than the SPS.

I have learned to research before going to the store it is much easier to know what to get without having to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom