what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffrock

Aquarium Advice Regular
here is my proposed set up for my 120 g. saltwater. what do you guys think? is there smething im missing or something i can do better?

Attachments

• saltwater setup.jpg
    saltwater setup.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 90
To be honest I wouldn't use the fx5. :) You have a sump so it shouldnt be needed. Unless of course you want to use it for chemical media like carbon or gfo.

re:

i am planning to put crushed live rock throughout the whole thing, i think that would be a good combo.

re:

The sump that i have is designed for a 75g tank and i am not sure that it will be enough for the whole thing? Another thing, shoud i use the biowheel filters or not? i have had people to not use them.

If you want to use the canister filer you could use it for more bio filtration but it's not needed your sump should be enough extra.

The biowheels may cause salt creep so I wouldn't go with them. :) Any little splashing in a sw tank will cause salt creep. Is the tank drilled btw? if youre using overflows what are they rated at? And the return pump, what gph is that?
Just trying to figure out if the sump system is pushing enough water.

it is not drilled, i have a single overflow. it came with the sump and a 55g tank that i purchased for $50. so i couldn't pass it up, it also came with 2 pumps and a protien skimmer. good deal huh? one pump is a rio 2500 and the other doesn't have any info on it.the one that i am not sure of the gph is the return witch will be connected to a spray bar.

The rio pushes I believe 600gph or so. I would also not do a spray bar unless it is well under the water line. More salt creep. lol

Do you have pictures of your setup? Might help others to understand, namely me. hehe...

I would use the biggest pump for your return adn attach a ball valve inline so that you can tweak it to match your overflow.

the drawing of the settup at the begining is all i have so far. i have to redo my floors in the room where the tank is going so i have not yet set it up. will be setting it up within the next week or so.... im very excited and i cant wait. tank is sitting there and all the equipment. just trying to get the set up right before i get it in place and fill it with water.

Attachments

• saltwater setup.jpg
    saltwater setup.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 72
yep salt creep is dried up salt that seems to find its way on everything. lol It's nasty and a pain. Plus it removes salt from your water. :)

I do not have any rocks yet, i plan on putting about 40 or 50 lbs of live rock in there after i get it going.

IMO get rid of the HOB filters and canister. They are only good for mechanical or chemical filtration. Biological if you can add the rocks like you mentioned, but you will have to clean them out every 1-2 weeks IME PITA. Let your LR and sump do all the work. I'm not a fan of bioballs, but use it if you think it works for you.

Overflow?

OK.....so im considering drilling the tank for the overflow.....but i am confused as to what size overflow and what size holes to put in it. what is the best way to configure my new 125g tank? i am getting confused with all this new information. i have never done this before or used drilled tanks before. I could use some expertise on this subject !!! how do you determine where to put it, how far down, what size? HELP !!!!!!! Where can i get a high quality product to install ?

Back
Top Bottom