Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do you think about this tank

I currently have a 18g cube aquarium, but I would like something bigger.
I'm thinking about one on craigslist.
Its a 39 gallon Cad Lights Professional
with a sump and a stand
the price would be $400.00
Any suggestions, do you think this would be a good deal?
For a reef aquarium would a 39g be easier than the 18g
Aquarium Fish Tank CAD Lights 39 Gallons, Stand, Light & Small Filter

Old 02-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

IMO thats a bit steep. sure its a "high-end" tank but you are getting the basic setup for a steep price.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It has the star fire glass. But I know it is an older model for cad lights. What do you think I should offer for this set up. I don't want to over pay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I couldnt even begin to give you a respectable answer to that. ive noticed that when it comes to buying/selling aquarium related items, the location has alot to do with prices. whats usually insanely cheap around my area my be comepletely different around your area and vice versa. all i can recommend is to do some in depth comparisons to over used setups that are somewhat similar. keep in mind too that no 2 setups are going to be exactly the same, therefore prices will vary. also pay attention to what all youre getting when looking at a setup. if this one had come fully setup as a sw tank, possibly with a few beginner corals and/or a fish or two, id say its worth it, but its essentially the basic setup for sale.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw this the other day on CL (I'm out in Indio). They say they are firm on the price, which sometimes changes over time. I'm not sure I would pay over $300. I think if you keep looking, you can do better.

There is a 55g cube (24x24x20) listed about 12 days ago in Ontario for $300 with stand, skimmer, T5 lights, live rock, etc. sorry, not sure how to do links from my phone. It is just listed as "salt water aquarium".
Old 02-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you, I was thinking it was to much. I will keep looking. I'm really interested in one with a sump. My 18 gallon is a all in one. And I feel for corals I need better filtration. I have only been in this hobby for 2 months and I love it.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just checked out the tank in Ontario. I like it. Much better deal. What things should I look for when looking at the tank. I think I will check it out this weekend. Is it safe to consider the live rock and fish?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that tanks that come with corals, rock and fish are okay, but I play the fish and corals off as "I don't really care about those" so the person does not try to use that as a selling point. I see a clown and what looks like a green Chromis and a couple of corals in the pics.

I would ask about when the bulbs were replaced last and if its been a while, use that as a disappointment..."bummer, I'm going to have to spend money on replacing those bulbs".

If you can post the link, others might be able to point out things. I'm not sure what brand that skimmer is. I do like the 24 x24 footprint and the 20" height is nice.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have been talking to the guy from Ontario on this tank. It is around a year old. It will come with Tank, sump, protein skimmer, stand, T5 light that he says is new.
2 5 gallon jugs and supplies
there is 2 clowns 2 chromis 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 scooter benny, 1 mandarin goby and multiple crabs and snails and a star fish. Live rock and some corals.
The only thing is that I have 1 clown (nemo kind) he is a juvenile. and Im worried about putting all 3 clowns together. It looks like he has a black clown and a orange one.
What advise can you give me.
I attached the link.
Thank you so much.
Salt water aquarium
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not put the three clowns together. Odds are you could take one to a LFS and they would take it and maybe even give a lite store credit. Maybe even list it on CL?

I think that for $300, it would work for me. I'd ask if he would take $250. It's been up a couple weeks with no takers, so maybe he will come down. Split the difference maybe? Can't hurt to ask.

I just got a 24x24x14 and paid. $100 for just the stand and tank . I plan to add height (20" or 24") in about a year, but want to keep the 24x24 footprint.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com