What do you think about this tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO thats a bit steep. sure its a "high-end" tank but you are getting the basic setup for a steep price.

It has the star fire glass. But I know it is an older model for cad lights. What do you think I should offer for this set up. I don't want to over pay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I couldnt even begin to give you a respectable answer to that. ive noticed that when it comes to buying/selling aquarium related items, the location has alot to do with prices. whats usually insanely cheap around my area my be comepletely different around your area and vice versa. all i can recommend is to do some in depth comparisons to over used setups that are somewhat similar. keep in mind too that no 2 setups are going to be exactly the same, therefore prices will vary. also pay attention to what all youre getting when looking at a setup. if this one had come fully setup as a sw tank, possibly with a few beginner corals and/or a fish or two, id say its worth it, but its essentially the basic setup for sale.

I saw this the other day on CL (I'm out in Indio). They say they are firm on the price, which sometimes changes over time. I'm not sure I would pay over $300. I think if you keep looking, you can do better.

There is a 55g cube (24x24x20) listed about 12 days ago in Ontario for $300 with stand, skimmer, T5 lights, live rock, etc. sorry, not sure how to do links from my phone. It is just listed as "salt water aquarium".

Thank you, I was thinking it was to much. I will keep looking. I'm really interested in one with a sump. My 18 gallon is a all in one. And I feel for corals I need better filtration. I have only been in this hobby for 2 months and I love it.

I just checked out the tank in Ontario. I like it. Much better deal. What things should I look for when looking at the tank. I think I will check it out this weekend. Is it safe to consider the live rock and fish?

I think that tanks that come with corals, rock and fish are okay, but I play the fish and corals off as "I don't really care about those" so the person does not try to use that as a selling point. I see a clown and what looks like a green Chromis and a couple of corals in the pics.

I would ask about when the bulbs were replaced last and if its been a while, use that as a disappointment..."bummer, I'm going to have to spend money on replacing those bulbs".

If you can post the link, others might be able to point out things. I'm not sure what brand that skimmer is. I do like the 24 x24 footprint and the 20" height is nice.

I have been talking to the guy from Ontario on this tank. It is around a year old. It will come with Tank, sump, protein skimmer, stand, T5 light that he says is new.
2 5 gallon jugs and supplies
there is 2 clowns 2 chromis 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 scooter benny, 1 mandarin goby and multiple crabs and snails and a star fish. Live rock and some corals.
The only thing is that I have 1 clown (nemo kind) he is a juvenile. and Im worried about putting all 3 clowns together. It looks like he has a black clown and a orange one.
What advise can you give me. :angel:
I attached the link.
Thank you so much.
Salt water aquarium

I would not put the three clowns together. Odds are you could take one to a LFS and they would take it and maybe even give a lite store credit. Maybe even list it on CL?

I think that for $300, it would work for me. I'd ask if he would take $250. It's been up a couple weeks with no takers, so maybe he will come down. Split the difference maybe? Can't hurt to ask.

I just got a 24x24x14 and paid. $100 for just the stand and tank . I plan to add height (20" or 24") in about a year, but want to keep the 24x24 footprint.

That sounds nice. I'm nervous about transporting everything but it will nice once it is done. Can you post a picture of your tank.

The fish can just go in buckets. I would try to keep the live rock wet so that there is as little beneficial bacteria loss as possible, same with the sand.

I don't have pics on my phone , but I started a thread in the Members Aquariums section...Todd's 35g Square Reef ( or something like that). There are a couple of pics there. I am redoing the stand to get more height, so other than getting a CPR BakPak hang-on-back skimmer, not much has changed. I plan to add a sump and new skimmer once I add volume and figure this, plus water changes, will work for now. I am hoping to get the stand finished up this weekend and have water in by early next week.

OMG, we are in the process of picking up the 55 gallon The Todd was so nice to find on cl. Well where do I start. It is a beautiful tank, so happy and excited and overwhelmed. It's going to be a long night cleaning it up. Lots of green alge on the rocks, I'm going to have to get new sand tomorrow. We brought home 15 gallons of their water. I was wondering if I need to cycle the tank. They gave me 2 chromis 1 scooter benny and w baby clownfish. I put them all in my 18 gallon until I can figure out what to do. The Clownfish are in a baby net. What do you recommend me to do.

Well we got everything cleaned up, bought new sand. Pretty pleased. How long will it take for the sand to settle?

I finally got my phone working...had issues over the weekend...glad to hear that the tank suggestion worked out.

The sand should settle in a day or two depending on what kind you got and how well you rinsed it.

How are the fish doing? Did you ask them what the scooter Blenny was eating? I've never had luck with those, but they are really cool to watch.

The tank settled over night. I have been checking the parameters the last 2 days. I put all the fish in my 18 gallon. It's very crowded. Last night I put the 2 clownfish, scooter benny , crabs and snails in the tank. They are doing good. The scooter benny eats mises shrimp. On the down side , the people didn't take very good care of the tank. The rock had a lot of green hair alge. I scrubbed it before I set up the tank in clean saltwater. Unfortunately I didn't get it all. Also I saw last night Bristol worms. Tonight well set up a trap for them. I think there is a lot of them. Yuck! They give me the willies. Another thing the return pump is noisy. I'm not to sure how old it is but the sticker on it says 2010.

Leave the bristle worms alone, the only reason you see a lot of them is because they most likely overfed the tank, also shown by the hair algae. They are good to have as they eat left overs. Nice score on the tank, sounds like a good deal. Now let's see some pics!!!!!

The tank is coming along. I'm very happy with it. I've been keeping the lights off for most of the day and put a few more snail and hermit crab in the tank for the alge. I was wondering the tank has only been running for a week I've been testing the water and all have tested at 0. I was wondering when should I do a partial water change. I was thinking this weekend, maybe it would help with the alge. I don't know if it is too soon, but I got my test kit in and I tested the alkaline at 8.9, calcium 350, magnesium 1600. Are these # ok?

Attachments

• 1392308023766.jpg
    1392308023766.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1392308046074.jpg
    1392308046074.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 1392308068368.jpg
    1392308068368.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 1392308083570.jpg