What do you use to inject/nuke your aips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got 3 aiptasia in my tank, one has become a nuscianse and the other started out as one, so it's time for them to go. I am wondering exactly what utensils you use to nuke your aips. I plan on either using kalk or vinegar, but don't have a syringe with a needle. I can get one, but it will be tomorrow before I can get a syrynge with a needle from the pharmacy, is there something else I can use tonight? Should I wait and get the needle tomorrow and if so...what size needle?

i use a 50ml Hypo. Its easy to handle because of its size, and if i decide to use boiling water instead of Kalk, it wont burn my hand.

I would wait until you get the syringe, although you could take a drill, make a hole, stick the turkey baster in and have some fun.

With that said, I would wait. All I have ever heard is the syringe and kalk or vinegar.

I actually have not done it. But I have witnessed and helped out in the process. The really nice LFS (the one where the owner closed and reopened in Raleigh) had a really bad case. I told him about the Kalkwasser trick, and he tried it while I was there. He had a syringe in his shop and did it then. The next time I was in there the tank was almost cleaned of it, and by the time he moved it was spotless. I told him not to kill everyone in case the Kalkwasser were too strong for some of the inhabitants. He used Kent Kalkwasser I think, if there is such a thing.

I use a 22 gauge needle on a 5ml syringe filled with scalding water.
(the lower the number, the fatter the needle will be...16 gauge is what we
use on cows, 22 for vaccinating dogs)

Wow. How did you all get your aiptasia? Yhe above link on about .com talks about using lemon juice. Let us know what happens. :x

I have had about 80% success using a 10ml syringe (no needle) and blasting them with hot water. It depends on what is close to them. In my case, there wasn't anything close enough to sustain any damage from the hot water. If you get it, it will shrivel up and turn loose of the rock it's in.

I use an insulin syringe loaded with liquid calcium haven't missed yet. Just follow them into there hole and make sure you get them with the needle.
Good hunting :uzi:

I use a horse syringe from a feed store with whatever needle comes with it. '

I have not had good results from boiling water. In my case, it would not kill them completely and they instead seemed to just multiply because of the actual trauma.

White vinegar had been excellent thus far (have never tried kalk). When I am done injecting them, my bristle worm team actually comes out and clean up the melted aiptasia, removing it entirely from the rock and eliminating the problem. This has been done in 2 separate tanks with the same success. It's important to actually stab the base, just squirting the vinegar at them only melts some of the tentacles.

reefrunner69 said:
With that said, I would wait. All I have ever heard is the syringe and kalk or vinegar.

Have you ever done it? What do you use?

i use a 50ml Hypo.

Hmmm, I am assuming that is with a needle?

Yes. I mix the kalk into a thick paste, suck it up into the Hypo with a needle on it, then i place a couple of drops into the mouth of the little b*st*rd. The will then close up with the kalk droplets, never to be seen again.

Reef runner, can you post a pic? I have something I was thinking might be aiptasia but it is too small to take a picture. It might be a feather duster but they look a little different. :cry:

I use a 22G X 1 1/2 in. 3cc syringe and needle. I use hot, distilled vinegar and have yet to miss. Good luck.

Reef runner, can you post a pic?

3aiptasia.jpg

This is one of my aips that is about to get citrusized :twisted: After some consideration, I decided to give the lemon juice a shot, I'll give a report in just a bit, haven't done it yet, but will very shortly. I got a 12 cc syringe and a couple 18guage needle (in case kalk paste becomes necessary) and a couple 22 guage needles. The needles screw on the syringe, so a little bleach on the syringe and it will still be available next time, needles are about .30 per at the feedstore, thanks Hara and Hoops for the idea where to get them :wink:

Thank you for the picture, that is not what I have. :D Let us know if the lemon juice works!

OK, I injected the aips yesterday afternoon with lemonjuice and it was obvious from the start that they didn't much care for it. The aips were not dead by the time I went to bed las nite, but this morning they were nothing left but a pile of goo. I don't think the results would have been different had I used vinegar or kalk, so next time (if there is one) I will just use whatever I have on hand, rather than buying lemon juice at the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom