Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2003, 06:50 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

What do you use to inject/nuke your aips?

I've got 3 aiptasia in my tank, one has become a nuscianse and the other started out as one, so it's time for them to go. I am wondering exactly what utensils you use to nuke your aips. I plan on either using kalk or vinegar, but don't have a syringe with a needle. I can get one, but it will be tomorrow before I can get a syrynge with a needle from the pharmacy, is there something else I can use tonight? Should I wait and get the needle tomorrow and if so...what size needle?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
This link was sent to me the other day. may be worth a try. even says what size needle.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/librar...y/aa061903.htm

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i use a 50ml Hypo. Its easy to handle because of its size, and if i decide to use boiling water instead of Kalk, it wont burn my hand.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would wait until you get the syringe, although you could take a drill, make a hole, stick the turkey baster in and have some fun.

With that said, I would wait. All I have ever heard is the syringe and kalk or vinegar.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:39 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
With that said, I would wait. All I have ever heard is the syringe and kalk or vinegar.
Have you ever done it? What do you use?

Quote:
i use a 50ml Hypo.
Hmmm, I am assuming that is with a needle?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually have not done it. But I have witnessed and helped out in the process. The really nice LFS (the one where the owner closed and reopened in Raleigh) had a really bad case. I told him about the Kalkwasser trick, and he tried it while I was there. He had a syringe in his shop and did it then. The next time I was in there the tank was almost cleaned of it, and by the time he moved it was spotless. I told him not to kill everyone in case the Kalkwasser were too strong for some of the inhabitants. He used Kent Kalkwasser I think, if there is such a thing.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I use a 22 gauge needle on a 5ml syringe filled with scalding water.
(the lower the number, the fatter the needle will be...16 gauge is what we
use on cows, 22 for vaccinating dogs)
Old 07-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow. How did you all get your aiptasia? Yhe above link on about .com talks about using lemon juice. Let us know what happens.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I have had about 80% success using a 10ml syringe (no needle) and blasting them with hot water. It depends on what is close to them. In my case, there wasn't anything close enough to sustain any damage from the hot water. If you get it, it will shrivel up and turn loose of the rock it's in.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com