Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2003, 12:49 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
My opinion on the tang (assuming you're talking a yellow) is that a 75 gal is the minimum size. This is not a rule of course...just my opinion.
As for the Doc Foster "reef in a box", I agree with Teri 100%. I think you can create a nice reef for less $ that they're saying anyway. I don't like the built in filtration either. I'd get some of the local magazines that do classified ads and look for a deal on a used tank/stand. We have a couple here...for example: The Atlanta Advertiser, The N Ga Classifieds, The Ga Trader, ect... I'm sure you have something like this in your location. The paper is another good place to look. Another way you'll save money is to have a plan. Know what you want and don't spend money twice. If you're sure you want to keep SPS corals in the end, buy a MH lighting system the first time. You can start out with HOB equipment and upgrade to a sump later if you get the right equipment. For example, either an Aqua C or Berlin HOB skimmer is easily convertible for use in a sump. For 1900.00, if you are patient and watch what you do, I think you could have a nice 125 gal+ tank in the end. You can start it off as a FO and, like ellisz, keep a very low bioload until you can upgrade the tank. You'll be learning about SW tanks in the process and maybe avoid some of the mistakes the rest of us have made. JMHO .

Old 11-06-2003, 07:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sati:

I'm also in the process of (slowly LOL) setting up a small SW tank. I very strongly suggest, before you buy anything else, purchasing Robert Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. I can see my copy is going to be dogeared even before I buy hardware like a skimmer and set up the sump equipment, even before buying LR or sand LOL

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:59 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Very good advice there from Allivymar. I forgot to mention that book . Required reading for "newbies".
Old 11-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am getting a 30 gal, with stand, hood, light, penguin 330, heater. this weekend. I wanted to do a saltwater tank and put in about 4 clowns but you guy's are scaring me. With what I have, what else do I need to set up a small sw tank? I know a skimmer, but what else do I need?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I have ran a HOB filter on a 38 gal for 9 years.
That's the setup I have now with fw. Maybe I'll start a little savings account for sw. I am in an apartment now and hesitate to get any really large tanks until I'm in a home of my own. I hate to get a bunch of smaller tanks. I really want a big, fat sw tank

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops, I missed the replies on the second page. Loganj, I think that's a really smart idea to do a fo tank. That I could definitely handle. That encourages me a bit :] And thank very much for the book suggestion. I added it to my Amazon Wish List. 432 pages of education ought to help quite a bit

Old 11-06-2003, 11:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

first of all go glass it is aloot cheaper and i got the docter foster and smith catalog and there is a loot more work than they show it's not just a couple easy steps.
Mr. Marine
mrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not going into details, they did a great job of that. I got the my tank and stand locally due to shipping. Got most of my stuff from Dr Fosters and some from www.marinedepot.com ... lights from www.hellolights.com ....

I have a 90 gallon and spent about $2200 b4 fish and maintenence
Old 11-07-2003, 12:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Btw Sati, I ordered The Conscientious Marine Aquarist from BigAls. They had it at a better price then Amazon!

Heh, and it is mentioned in the required reading loganj; just wanted to make sure it wasn't missed. I spend a lot of time on Wetwebmedia as well as here, and while initially I wasn't sure about the book (everyone there recommended it too, but I wasn't sure if that was a bit of nepotism of sorts *grin*), but after reading Bob's reply to folks in the daily questions and in the forum, I grabbed it. Wow. Amazing book and a really good read.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allivymar
Btw Sati, I ordered The Conscientious Marine Aquarist from BigAls. They had it at a better price then Amazon!
Bite your tongue! My BF works at Amazon :P

Just kidding, even we go wherever the price is better :] What's shipping with BigAl's?

Tags
set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com