what does it take to turn a tank into a saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfiegirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
what does it take to turn a tank into a saltwater tank? my hubby was talking about it for a while to change one into a saltwater tank but never really understood how to go from there if we decidedt o, would you need all new equipment and is a 30gallon to small?

The bacteria in fresh vs salt is different so the tank would need to recycle. You should drain all the water out and replace with ro /di. Some people buy it and haul the water from a lfs and some buy an ro /di unit. What's the filters and stuff you have now?

It would be like starting over I guess. I was bought a 55g for my birthday (lucky me) and it came with everything for a freshwater set up, I think my partner thought that's what I wanted then I went to the fish store and fell in love with the marine fish! Long story short, the only thing I kept was the heater. I sold the under gravel filter, light, gravel, food and all the other gear on eBay and started anew...

Oh and a 30g is not too small, but you may get addicted and want a bigger tank! - you have much more options for fish in a larger tank and its easier to keep a salt water tank stable if its a larger volume. A lot of people recommend 55g is a good beginner size but it depends on how much time you want to give it. If you have the time and the patience a 30g will be fine, especially if you already have the tank :)

mine came with everything for freshwater! i got a filter i dont know the name of it, as i have had it for a year and didnt really do anything with it like we want to do now! but i got a filter the air bubbles and a heater. well my husband has been thinking after we get basement done about building his own aquarium which wewere wanting a nice long one just not sure if we want it in the wall or not yet!

Back
Top Bottom