Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

A pack of filters costs $40.00 and includes:
1) 10 micron sediment filter
1) 5 micron Coconut Carbon Black
1) one micron Coconut Carbon Black
1) Full size vertical color changing DI Cartridge

Due to my use I get a different package with 6 sediment the 2 carbon and refillable DI material (4 refills) for around $75.00.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
For me it is worth it just to not have to lug those jugs around. As far as Cost you`ll be better off making your own RO/DI water.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
I go through 4-5 gal of water a day. No way I am going to get my water from a LFS. For small tanks, it might not be worth the trouble to get your own unit. Might be good to get a TDS meter and verify the water you are getting from the LFS is as pure as you want it to be though.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
I make my own RO also - i can make 50 gal per day, so i never run out... Filters are about $ 40-50 per year...i too have a good water source... As far as ease of installation, the unit was installed in like 30minutes or so... just make sure you have good water pressure before you install a unit - i have a friend who needed to add a "pump" of sorts to boost his water pressure, otherwise his RO wouldn't work properly...
All in all, id say its a worthwhile investment...
animalparamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
For me it is worth it just to not have to lug those jugs around.
The "soft cost" alone is enough for me. Getting a home RO/DI unit saves sooo much time and hassel in buying and hauling water from the LFS. I love having it on hand at home whenever I need it. There is something to be said for the connivance.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont know I think it is more convienent to drop off my jugs and pick them up later than having to wait 2 hours for a 5 gallon jug at home. Mainly I was debating cost and time. It would be more time to make it at home. And when I figure 200 startup for the unit and 60 dollars a year for filters. I change 30 gallons a month in my 46bow. 60 dollars dividedx 12 months is 5 dollars per month or .16 per gallon at 30 gallons a month. And for the first year if I factor in the cost of the RO/Di unit at 200.00 roughly. Divide that by 12 months is 16.00 a month divided by 30 gallons is .53 cents per gallon for a total cost of .68 cents per gallon for the first year and .16 for every year after and I have to wait hours for my water?? granted there are many variables to the equation. I just have a hard time swallowing the expense. Maybe since I only change 30 gallons a month I could go longer than a year on the filters I don't really know.

fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com