what due you due if your nitrates are to high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrates wont kill, but excessive nitrates stress the fish. Waterchanges help. When your tank matures and all, there are some corals that help reduce nitrates like xenias and clams :D

so just due a water change ? thats it? like will they be ok for a day so i can get the water im going to put back in there to the right temp?

Nitrates arent gonna kill... Sand isnt a pain in the but, and cc will trap in more food an waste that will raise the nitrates. You might be thinking of a dsb thats a pain in the butt.

do partial water changes, like 10% or so and I wouldn't worry about a heater.. I have a 55 and don't heat my top offs, but heat my 13 gallon changes...

When doing large WC the salinity/SG and temp should be close to the tanks. Mix water at least 24 hours before adding to the tank.
Sand IMO is the way to go, CC is out... bare bottom some prople like but I don't like the looks of a Bare tank.
How hig is high?????

What is high? 30, 40 50 >80?

Is this in the 180?
How long has the tank been set up?
What are you using for filtration?
Have you completed the cycle yet?

ya the tanks been up for about one whole year now and i have done one water change. because ever time i took my water into were i buy my fish he would test it and say its ok. so then i told him it is pretty cloudy . then he said for me to buy a uv sterilizer. so any ways i did what u all told me to do and im sitting here waiting to find out how much the water change helped.

ok great :D :lol: well believe it or not its all the way down to 10. well thanks ever one. hey by the way how due some of you have your fish and tank size and all that under your name? well thanks again

Buy a UV for cloudy water???? Sounds like the LFS sucks..

You should be doing regular water changes, buy your own test kits and check weekly for nitrate at the very least.
I do a water change every other month on my reef and fowlr, my refugium keep NO3 in check. Most do WC monthly and some ever biweekly in smaller tanks.
You may need to do several changes over a week or 2 to get things in check.
What are the numbers???
Buy a nitrate test kit to start.

don't expect one water change to be the solve all. It took me several changes to get my water where I wanted it. Good luck

You have done only one water change in the whole year the tank has been up? That could be your problem besides your CC you should be doing a water change every 2 weeks. The size of your tank will determine how much water should be changed.

Back
Top Bottom