Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What eats fish poop?

Any specific crabs, shrimp, cucumbers, ect?

mike333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've seen my cleaner shrimp eating it. Don't know if that's normal or not.

JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I've seen our sexy anemone shrimp eat is as well.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I apologize if my last remarks sounded condescending . . . that means when you talk down to people."
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I read a recent article that says that fish food needs to be re-cycled (eaten) as many as 9 times to remove all of the beneficial nutrients. Anything less than that means excess nutrients in your tank. This contributres to poor water quality. I know that my powder blue often goes after it's own as well as other fish. I have watched as crabs have torn apart snail poop also. You need to create a food recycling chain in the little environement!

I use Nazarious sp? snails, they sift substrate non-stop. Turbo grazers for live rock as well as a half a dozen margerita and other snails. Many red leg and scarlet crabs, to re-cycle the food. I aso have pulsing xenia that were growing like crazy, becasue they remove the dissolved nutients. And macro algea/ mangroves in the sump to remove it once it is broken down into nitrate.

Soo, I guess the answer to your question is not so simple.
phishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
A good clean up crew is a mix of snails, crabs... I have sand sifting cukes... Serpant stars are nice also..
how big of a tank and what fish do you plan on having...
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Most members of a clean up crew will eat fish poo. I would suggest that you get a large varity of clean up crew and see how it goes.

JPloman is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, poop

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com