What eats fish poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read a recent article that says that fish food needs to be re-cycled (eaten) as many as 9 times to remove all of the beneficial nutrients. Anything less than that means excess nutrients in your tank. This contributres to poor water quality. I know that my powder blue often goes after it's own as well as other fish. I have watched as crabs have torn apart snail poop also. You need to create a food recycling chain in the little environement!

I use Nazarious sp? snails, they sift substrate non-stop. Turbo grazers for live rock as well as a half a dozen margerita and other snails. Many red leg and scarlet crabs, to re-cycle the food. I aso have pulsing xenia that were growing like crazy, becasue they remove the dissolved nutients. And macro algea/ mangroves in the sump to remove it once it is broken down into nitrate.

Soo, I guess the answer to your question is not so simple. :mrgreen:

A good clean up crew is a mix of snails, crabs... I have sand sifting cukes... Serpant stars are nice also..
how big of a tank and what fish do you plan on having...

Most members of a clean up crew will eat fish poo. I would suggest that you get a large varity of clean up crew and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom