What else do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhTheHumanity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry about all the questions in this post, but im about to the end of setting up and getting all my equipment (one more week woo hoo). I just want to be sure I am getting the right equipment and the best beofre i spend my hard earned money and get junk.

I have standard 48" 55 gal tank. On the 9th I will be oredering 50 to 70 lbs of LR (most likely from liverocks.com). I have coral gravel as my substrate. Should I try to get some live sand or aragonite and incorporate it? Should I not worry about it now?

I have a Penguin 330 and smaller filter that were on it when it was a FW. There is also a RED SEA Prizm skimmer (all helping with movement I think) I am planning on ordering 2 Maxi-Jet 1200s and plugging them into a RED SEA Wavemaker.

I will also be purchasing a WON Bros. 250w titanium heater with digital temp. display. http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/listcatbrand.asp?CatID=he&brandID=WB#

Let me know if I've missed anything, need any additions or this is the wrong equipment for me. Thanks for the help, this is the most informative place to find aquarium advice. Thank God I found it.

Since the live rock comes in 40# boxes, you're better off getting it in 40# increments. This will reduce the shipping price per pound. Also, I believe that the price of the rock drops to 2.79/pound when you get 80.

Jim

You say you have gravel substrate. is this real gravel or a crushed coral base? What size are the gravels?

If your thinking of adding sand you would be best off removing the old substrate and going to a total sand bottom vs a mixture of gravel and sand.

I dont see any mention of lighting. What kind of lighting do you have? Is this going to be a fish only with live rock tank or are you looking at adding corals at some point in the future.

Yes it's a crushed coral gravel about 1/4" to 1/2" pieces. Is the sand relly necessary?

I have a CSL PC w/ Moonlite. 2 65w 10000k and 2 65w actinic.

It will be a reef tank and i am planning on adding coral, not for a while though I am a beginner.

Back
Top Bottom