What else do I need.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok setting up a 29 gal saltwater tank, here's what I have so far

My local fish store recommened the supplys I bought:

Emperor Filter 280
30" Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 2-65 watt 50/50
40 lbs CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Reef Sand

They also recommended a:
Red Sea - The Prizm Skimmer .?????
I didnt buy it yet because they told me I didnt need it till I bought my Liverock.

Questions #1
Red Sea - The Prizm Skimmer .....Ok or can I do better (same price range)

Question #2
I was going to add 10lbs of live sand ontop of the aragamax.?
Local petstore said......(no need to) because of the live rock im going to add, the aragamax will become live.?

Question #3
Im going to set up my tank this weekend, should I wait till I get my live rock and do it all at once......or is it ok to go ahead and setup the tank water.salt sand..and add the rock later.?????

TIA

The live rock would seed the sand eventually with life, but IMO, I would go ahead and put some live sand in there as well. It will kinda give you a little extra kick of biological filtration. You are looking at probably a month, or longer, before the sand in the tank gets seeded good from the live rock.

bckane said:
Ok setting up a 29 gal saltwater tank, here's what I have so far

My local fish store recommened the supplys I bought:

Emperor Filter 280
30" Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 2-65 watt 50/50
40 lbs CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Reef Sand

They also recommended a:
Red Sea - The Prizm Skimmer .?????
I didnt buy it yet because they told me I didnt need it till I bought my Liverock.

Questions #1
Red Sea - The Prizm Skimmer .....Ok or can I do better (same price range)

Question #2
I was going to add 10lbs of live sand ontop of the aragamax.?
Local petstore said......(no need to) because of the live rock im going to add, the aragamax will become live.?

Question #3
Im going to set up my tank this weekend, should I wait till I get my live rock and do it all at once......or is it ok to go ahead and setup the tank water.salt sand..and add the rock later.?????

TIA

Sounds like a good plan for the most part.

Answer #1) A skimmer is strongly opinion based... some folks swear by them, others don't see the need. I think it depends on your tank and your inhabitants. I don't have one or experience with any so someone else will have to help you with if thats a good one or not.

Answer #2) The LFS is right in that your sand will become LS from the LR and the cycle (have you read up on how to Cycle Without Fish? If you're using LR you won't need the shrimp, the LR will provider the ammonia needed) However, the healthiest tanks have a diverse sand bed, meaning there is a wide varity of life in the sand. So if you have the few extra bucks, I'd add that 10# of LS to contribute to the diversity.

Answer #3) IMO, It's a good idea to set up the tank, add the sand and water and get your other equip in and going for at least a day to be sure everything is functioning and there are no leaks before you buy anything thats "alive" including your LR.

Comment #1) I didn't hear any mention of a heater or any powerheads, did you skip them for post simplicity or have you skipped those in your plan? (You'll need them) and of course you have a good salt mix, hydrometer and test kits right? Just making sure as you said the above was what you had so far.

HTH!

Thanks BillyZ....
I didnt mention the olther's as you replied.....because it was the Subject
(What else do I need)....:)

Im going to pick up 10 lbs of live sand today..............
Question do I mix the sand or put the Live sand ontop of the aragonite.???

Im going to wait on the protein skimmer

Heater and powerhead:
What do you recommend for my setup:

Sounds like a good plan to me. go ahead and set up everything. You can add LR later to get your cycle really going. I would plan on 6-8 weeks of cycle time before you add livestock. the exception would be a couple hardy damsles after 2 or 3 weeks. As for the lighting, that is plenty of light but you may want ot consider ditching the two 50/50 bulbs and replacing them with one actinic and one 10,000 K bulb. good luck and have fun! Lando

I think a Prizm is okay for a 29 gallon. They're not the most efficient skimmer out there or the easiest to work with. I've had one for over a year on a 20 gallon and can't complain. I think in the price range its one of the better ones. The aquaC remora is better but also costs twice as much. The CPR bakpak is also a decent one for 29 gallon but it too costs more.

and just to be sure, bckane, when you say you're buying LS, you are refering to 10 pounds of sand scooped up from the bottom of one of their tanks right? and NOT the "live sand" they sell in bag on the shelf? the stuff on the shelf is garbage, don't waste your money on that.

I have 2 powerhead 301 in my 30 gal and they work fine, but it depends on how you decorate the tank. set up the tank so there are no "dead spots" I just set up a 75 gal and I am looking at ph with rotating output.
In the 30 gal I have a prism skimmer, and it does its job, there are better, but at a higher price

I just picked up a 1 maxi-jet PH 1200,(hope 1 is good) I'm going to wait to get my skimmer, im hearing its a options.........Do you think I need to get a heater.???????
If so what do I need to look for.?

Yuh sure do. Your aquarium is going to have to stay at a constant temperature varying no more than a few degrees ideally. I have a 150W on my tank and if keeps it right at 79-80 degrees. I would just keep an eye on the temp. of the tank and if it is steady then you are good.

Well it seems to be working good, I have a super low bio load so I am not getting that much skimmate, but the stuff I am getting makes me sure glad that it is not in the tank.
It is finnicky to adjust well I must warn you, it takes some patience to get it up high enough but not have a tonne of bubbles flowing into the collection cup.

Good luck man

in regards to your powerheads one is ok if you have other equipment moving water as well (such as a skimmer, filter or sump/fuge return) over all you'll want about 10 times your tank capacity in total water movement per hour. so your 29 gallon should have a total of 290 gallons per hour (GPH) in water movement. Yes, you'll want a good quality heater that is rated for your size tank. I have a couple VisiTherms and I like them. There are some out there now with digital thermometers built in, I'd like to get one of those, you might wanna look for em.

A heater is a must :!: A typical 100 watt heater is rated for 15-30 gal. That wattage may bo ok for you in south fla, but up in PA I went with a 150 watt in my 30 gal. As far as brands of heaters, I don't really have a preference, the visi- therm has been running in my tank for 12 years without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom