Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, you can add a shrimp to decompose in your tank or you could use pure janitorial strength ammonia. Once you dose you will want to test each day for ammonia and nitrites. Since you have established live rock your cycle should go quick. You will see the increase in ammonia from the shrimp/ammonia you add, then you should see your nitrites rise and rise and then the ammonia will go to 0 and then a few days or a week or so the nitrites should also drop to 0 all by themselves. The magic of the nitrogen cycle. lol

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I will consider getting a shrimp or something to help with the cycle. I still haven't had a nitrite or amonia spike so i dunno. im going to go to my local saltwater store on wednesday to talk to them about it.

my lights came in the mail today carey, and it's weird. each switch has 1 blue 1 white. is that normal? I thought during the day you a pair on (either white or blue) and at night another? (either blue or white) do i need to swap them out?

Should i keep them on now to help with the cycle, or is there no point without fish?

thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
still haven't had a nitrite or amonia spike so i dunno.
Thats where the shrimp comes in when it decomposes it produces ammonia , than you'll see your nitrate and so on
you don't need your lights on right now
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had to swap the bulbs around in my fixture so that all the blues and whites each ran on their own switch.

As far as the cycle, without a good ammonia source you won't see it happen. You need some sort of source of ammonia to kick start the beneficial bacteria growing.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #15

Alright so let me give you guys a quick update and then ask some of my new questions.

I ended up picking up two clowns at the beginning of May. Never had my spike, but my local fish store said that was normal with all the live rock, and live sand. They seam pretty happy and content. Eat like crazy though I think the food I am giving them is hurting my tank. I picked up some frozen food at 1st, but it was a process feeding them it every day, so I also picked up some flakes. I think the flakes made me get somewhat of a bad Alger problem. I had a glass top, and there were really brown bubbles on the top. Nasty Stuff. I am thinking about throwing out the glass top. Thoughts? Also There is green "hair" growing off some of my live rock? I read online a new toothbrush can help remove that.

I am thinking about replacing my filter with a Fluval, because 1. they are silent, and two, I think they do a better job filtering. Thoughts? What Fluval would you recommend if I go that route?

I haven't done a water change yet, but I think I am getting close to that point. I only have the two clowns in there. I am not going to expand until I get everything up to snuff with what I have.

I will take photos later if you guys want to see my problem areas.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd definitely recommend a water change today. a good 30-40% should be enough. what are you ammo, nitrite, nitrate? do you have a phosphate test? the hair algae is due to high nutrients in your tank so getting some of that water out will help.
since the tank is new you're going to see a few different types of algae and possibly cynobacteria form. Don't worry about it or try to remedy it, just pull out whatever you can by hand & keep up with your water changes. your tank will hit a point in time where it will even out & this kind of stuff will go away.

I also don't recommend flakes, get a quality frozen food and use that. I know it's a pain to feed but you'll be happier you kept up with it.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #17

I don't have a phosphate test yet. I am going to get one at petco today.

My pH is at 8.0 (how do I get that up to 8.2?)
My Ammonia is 0
My Nitrate is 0
and my Nitrate is about 10ppm.

I am going to buy a new sponge type cleaner to get the hard to reach spots that my magnate cleaner can't get. I am also going to buy a new filter pad.

I will do the water change very soon, (in the next day or so) but I need to mix some new RO water & salt.

What about the Fluval? thoughts?

Tags
start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com