What else would I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpsa98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First I want to say hello to everyone...I want to start a reef tank but I need some help getting started. im not going to tell you that " I have had freshwater tanks all my life" because I already know that has nothing to do with a reef tank at all. I recently picked up a 29 gal tall tank with : Fluval 204 filter, Top Fin Power Filter 30, Proquatics Thermofilter 4 in 1, and a 150w heater all brand new for $50.00. I have been reading books and posts here to find information I need to get started. What do I have that is good and not good , what else do I need to know or do to get started? I know that I dont have the right lighting but from what I have read if I change to metal halide 2 bulb blue and white lighting it would make my tank to hot so im not sure what to do there? Also with the fluval 204 I know that (if i remember from other posts?) If I leave the canister in the filter my nitrates would skyrocket and I could loose the water integrity in the tank. I also read posts where some say you need a (sump tank 10 gal I think? ) Im not sure if I need this and how I would even go about setting one up. Im sorry about all the questions but I just dont want to spend money on setting up a beautifull tank and messing it up because I did not do enough research or ask enough questions from people who have thriving tanks already. Thank you for any information you can help me with. Dave

First off, welcome to AquariumAdvice.com and the hobby. :wink:

dpsa98 said:
I recently picked up a 29 gal tall tank with : Fluval 204 filter, Top Fin Power Filter 30, Proquatics Thermofilter 4 in 1, and a 150w heater all brand new for $50.00.

The Fluval would be a good way of providing extra water flow though the tank. You would be better of running it empty and if needed or desired, just use it for carbon.

The top fin is basicaly a "knock off" of the Penguin with a bio wheel. You may or may not wish to use it. It really depends on the amount of rock and/or sand you use. The wheel basically provides surface area for aerobic bacteria which sufficient sand and rock will do much the same.

The thermofilter was developed for UG filters and water polishing. If anything I would remove the media from it as well and just use it as a regular PH.

I have been reading books and posts here to find information I need to get started.

Great to hear that, keep up the research and you should do fine!!

I know that I dont have the right lighting but from what I have read if I change to metal halide 2 bulb blue and white lighting it would make my tank to hot so im not sure what to do there?

A 2x55w Pc light set up would probably be your best choice. It's pretty good and will allow you to keep most soft and LPS corals.

Post the questions you need until you understand. AquariumAdvice is a great resource. There are some articles on the home page that you should definately read thouroughly and I hope they help.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom