What else would you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briandh76

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, Here's what I got so far. Just curious to what you all would add if you was on a tight budget.

75 gal reef
48 fo 80 watts total ( I'm ordering the Jebo 260 watt cfo)
Fluval 403 (317 gph) added bio-wheel
HOT Magnum Pro 250 (250 gph) + 1 bio wheel
Aquaclear 301 powehead (just using for water movement)
40 lbs fiji live rock ( I know I need more)
80 lbs live sand
1 10 gal qt with a aquaclear 500 on it.

Live stock:
1- yellow tang
1- clown (nemo type)
2- blue damsels
2- sally crabs
4- hemits
2- sand stars
3- horseshoe crabs
10-12 sand snails
1- mandrin
1-purple lobster
1-sea cucumber
1- condy anemone

Nitrites - 0ppm nitrates- 20ppm ammonia- 0ppm ph-8.0
tank has been set up for 4 weeks
all the fish are going into the qt 2 morrow for ich treatment.

oops. salinty is 1.023
and here is what i run in my fluval

bottom basket- ceramic rings
middle- carbon
top- big sponge

the magnum is mainly used as a water polisher. I really don't like to use it because it puts tiny air bubbles into the water.

You have those fish in your tank already? If they have ich then you will have to leave your tank fishless for 6 weeks so the parasite will die. You can't really do anything until then(except iverts). You will want to buy some pods for your mandarin or it will starve. Your tank is very new for an anemone and a mandarin.

Edmonton Eskimo said:
You have those fish in your tank already? If they have ich then you will have to leave your tank fishless for 6 weeks so the parasite will die. You can't really do anything until then(except iverts). You will want to buy some pods for your mandarin or it will starve. Your tank is very new for an anemone and a mandarin.

The mandrin is doing very well. He loves brine shrimp and he picks stuff off the glass and the sand. As far as thie ich the yellow tang started all that.

I just wanted to know what else equipment wise you all would reccomend.

The one ten gallon QT will not suffice for all those fish. As E. Eskimo said it will be 6 weeks before you can add them back to the main.

A QT consists of a tank, filter, heater and some pvc pcs/elbows. As for your main do you have any LR or protien skimmer. Niether one is required in a tank but the manderin will need the rock and the skimmer will help withh excess nutrients.

Right now a 10 gal qt is all I could afford to buy. I had a 30 gal with sand and rock untill some how it got cracked. I do have 40 lbs of lr in the main tank.

2- sand stars
I would consider getting rid of one. These can grow very large and they deplete the fauna in the sand bed quickley. They will runn out of food and die.
3- horseshoe crabs
I would get rid of all of these. the also grow large and will clean the sandbed of all fauna. they are also known to topple rock work which can crack your aquarium. Just not a good option for the home tank.
1- mandrin
this fish really needs more LR (around 100lbs) to survive long-term. They have a very specific diet and a high percentage simply waste away in the home aquarium. Your sand sifters and horseshoe crabs will be competing with the manderin for food and your manderin will loose. If you are putting the manderin in the QT for Tx, I do not think it will make it. Both manderins and anemones really should go into a more mature tank. The anemone will need much more light then you currently have so getting the new fixture as soon as possible will be a must. I really hate to sound so negative and hope you do not take offense. I am just trying to help you get a good start with your SW tank.

No offense taken. I was planning on getting my lights next week but now that I have to buy a new filter that is gettin put back a week or so.
My mandrin should do ok if he's eating a ton of brine shouldn't he?
As far as the horseshoes go, as soon as I see them (which has only been once in 2 weeks) I will get them outta there.

I guess this is what i get for listening to the "kids" at the lfs.

I guess this is what i get for listening to the "kids" at the lfs.
There are a lot of LFS out there with great employees who offer good advice. But there are even more out there who do not have a clue about fish keeping or who do just not care. Your job is distigushing between the two. Good call on the horse shoe crabs. As far as the manderins go, many have dies with a belly fully of brine shrimp. It just does not offer the nutrition they need and is no substitute for natural pods.

Most would recommend 100# of live rock for the mandarin and a 1-year old system for the anenome.

Back
Top Bottom